Thursday, November 1, 2012

Don't Go It Alone, Girls

My friend Becky calls me, "Spunky."  I take pride in being independent.  I thought the days of women being treated differently in business were over.  I guess they are not.

Not to be overbearing, but I can't stop thinking about my experience at the Toyota dealership.  The salesman actually looked embarrassed, as well he should have, when I reacted with amazement to what I was hearing.  The price he finally gave me after two hours was $8000 over the sticker price when you factor in the meager $7000 he was giving me for my car.  (Grubbs Infiniti gave me $11,000 for my Prius.)

Now I don't think there's any possible way I would have gone for that ridiculous deal.  But...I credit the information I had from Ken Mitchell as letting me know just how bad it was.  And my son Jay was with me when I bought the car.  Man--man!

Neither was I completely alone at the Infiniti dealership.  My son-in-love Rob had heard a deal on the radio for a special lease at Grubbs.  If I had not known to ask for that deal, I might not have come out as well.  However, I believe Grubbs is a Christian-owned dealership.  How do I know?  I have leased a car there before, and they play Christian music on their intercom (like Hemisphere's and Hobby Lobby.)  Their first offer to me gave me less for my car.  I called Rob, and he stayed on the phone with me quite a while looking up values for my car.  I actually accepted a deal for less than he thought I should, but I did get more than their original offer.  And the lease I got is amazing--thanks to a man, again.

This has really messed up my thinking.  Every subjective price I get from now on is going to cause me to be suspicious.  I was telling someone in choir about my experience, and she said that I needed to advise fellow single women.  So here it is.  Girls, you best not go it alone unless you're a tougher negotiator and much better informed than I am.














No comments:

Post a Comment