Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I Got the Best Birthday Present!

It was just a story, but it was about this guy...

Here's what happened.
My insurance company sent me a check for hail 
damage to my gutters and a flat portion of
roof on the back of the house.
That means there's only one thing to do.
Call Curtis.
Curtis Cohen was Jack's #1 roofer;
therefore, he is my #1 roofer, in spite of the
fact that he is trying to be retired!


Curtis was expressing his appreciation for Jack
and their many business dealings.
I asked him how he met Jack and how he 
started doing his roofing.
I'm so glad I asked.  Here's the story.


Curtis just stopped by a Stovall project one day
(this would have been many years ago)
and inquired about bidding the roofing portion.
He was directed to the office and went there.
Jack said, "Well, I have three McDonald's roofs 
that are leaking.  Can you check them out?"
Curtis did and reported back with solutions
(within just hours.)
Jack said, "Fix 'em."
(And you have to understand, when Jack said to
fix them, he meant right then.)
Curtis was able to do that, insuring him great favor!!!
He began bidding and installing many, if not all, of
Stovall Construction's roofs.


I can't remember how much later,
("Please, Lord, I hope it was quite a bit")
Curtis got a call from Jack.
Again it was about three McDonald's roofs, but
this time Jack informed Curtis that he was
getting ready to fire him!
Why?  Because these three roofs were leaking
and hadn't been fixed.
Curtis (quite taken aback, I am sure)
told Jack that it was NOT the roofs but the
air conditioning units that were causing the leaks.
Jack said, "Okay, meet me out there."
Curtis agreed and asked, "When?"
Jack: "In an hour!"



Subsequent to taking a water hose and demonstrating
 the actual problems
to Jack, a meeting was set up with the AC unit
representative. Guess how much notice Curtis had of
that meeting?
You got it--one hour!


Needless to say, Curtis was not fired.
Jack thought the world of Curtis Cohen.
And vice versa I found out today.
(Although I knew that all along.)
I often say that "I have people."
Curtis is my roofer person.
He drove a long way to come look at
my problem today with no compensation
other than my gratitude.
But...it made my birthday to get to hear
 Curtis tell me this story.
After all I was often hearing (and cringing at)
the other end of those conversations.
If Jack didn't mention firing you at some point,
you might want to feel neglected.














No comments:

Post a Comment