Tuesday, September 18, 2018

I Have Never Been This Way Before


Some of you may remember that my older
granddaughter, Madeline, performed at the
Post Playhouse in Nebraska this summer.
She was in five complete shows!
Her fan club made a trip up to see her (of course!)
Something happened on our way back home
that resonated and has stuck with me.


After her one performance on Sunday, we planned
to leave and head for Mount Rushmore.
As it turned out, Madeline and her castmates had
planned a cabaret show for Sunday evening.
We couldn't miss that, so we got a very late
start on our trip back to South Dakota.


Madeline had Monday off, so she was going with us.
She had a car there, so she and Susannah 
followed
Rob, Susan, Shirley, and me in his much bigger 
rental vehicle.


On top of being late, the weather was horrendous.
It was raining, and it was dark, save for the
most brilliant lightning display I have ever witnessed.
There were few "highway" lights.
In fact, there were few highways.
The roads in Nebraska do not compare to the
highways in Texas at all.
The navigation system would tell us to turn on
something that looked like a country road in Texas.
We came to one confusing intersection at which 
I would have had no idea which way to go.



I frequently glanced back to see the lights of
that little car with its precious cargo right behind us.
Right behind "their Daddy."
Following his path.
Safe because he was leading the way.




Oh that I trusted my Heavenly Father, my "Daddy,"
that much and followed His lead that closely.
He created me. The days of my life are ordained by him.
He is completely trustworthy.
Why do I branch off and think I know a better way?



A part of our Bible Study Fellowship lesson for
this week brought this story to my mind.
Joshua is preparing the Israelites to cross the
Jordan River and enter the land God had
promised to them.
He (Joshua) says, 

"When you see the ark of the covenant of the Lord,
and the priests carrying it, you are to move out
from your positions and follow it.
Then you will know which way to go, since
you have never been this way before."
Joshua 3:3-4













1 comment: