Sunday, June 18, 2023

Where In The World Has Linda Jane Lynn Stovall Been?

 What? You didn't even know I have been missing?  Well...I have; since May 7, 2023, not a peep from me. My absence began most pleasantly!


My daughter, Susan, and I drove to Galveston on Sunday, May 7th, and set sail on our first mother/daughter cruise! Before I show you pictures of our 7 days of mahvelous adventures, I'm going to tell you about what happened after that.


The day after we returned from our wonderful cruise, I suddenly realized that I was terribly out of breath. It was bad enough that I was in my primary care doctor's office by 3:00 P.M. She did an EKG and diagnosed Atrial Fibrilation. I was able to see a cardiologist the very next day who confirmed the diagnosis and started me on the required medications. 


On Thursday evening, I still felt poorly, so I took my blood pressure. It was okay, but while I was at it I popped my pulse oximeter on my finger, and it was not okay. My blood oxygen saturation level was in the 80's. This is what happened when I had blood clots after my knee replacement. I was scared.


Susan and Rob took me to the Emergency Room at UTSW'n in Dallas. We had already decided that if there were problems with my heart, we wanted to go there for solutions. We arrived a little before 9:00 P.M. and weren't in a room to be seen until 3:05 A.M. But, I was given supplemental oxygen immediately. I had no idea I would keep it for 12 days.


I was diagnosed with Acute Respiratory Failure due to pneumonia, in addition to the AFib. But I had no blood clots! At 5:00 P.M. I was wheeled to a room on the 10th floor of the Clements Building.


Along the way, I met Moxi! I wanted the girls pushing me to stop and back up so I could take a picture, but they didn't accommodate my request! Later I found out that wouldn't have worked. She moves pretty fast.


Later, Susan and I got a video of Moxi which is a hoot, but I can't get it to show up here on my blog. I'll put it on Facebook!



Then when I got to my room, it overlooked the helipad. We got to see several helicopters land, deliver patients, and depart. Susan and I took pictures "to show my boy I mentor," but it was quite exciting to me, too. 





And for 12 days, I had a different view of the sunset.


Still beautiful from any location.


I didn't know when they brought me my bright yellow plaid gown that it identified me as a "fall risk!" 


So one day I decided that I would just get up and do my own thing, not knowing that my chair had an alarm which would sound if I did    so! I found out a fast way to get a lot of attention!


I was so blessed to be able to be in such a caring place and have such loving and pleasant caregivers. I was grateful that they kept me until they were absolutely sure I was ready to be released. I was certainly glad to come home, but the cocoon of safety I felt while I was there  was invaluable.


Now I'm just learning about dealing with AFib!









No comments:

Post a Comment