Saturday, November 5, 2011

No matter where I roam...

there's no bathroom like home!  I'd like to give you a peek at what just might be the world's most beautiful bathroom.  Yes, in all modesty, it belongs to me.  And, with equal modesty, I designed and decorated it my very own self!

This project began eons ago when I purchased a beautiful new, free-standing, double sink unit.  A dear friend took me to the Dallas Market where I found just what I wanted.  This gorgeous thing was delivered to and stayed at the office warehouse forever and a day!  Finally, Rob called one day and said, "Linda, I've got two guys who can come tear out your bathroom."  Since procrastination is my middle name, I hesitated, but then said "Let's go."

Here's what started the whole thing!



I found the perfect mirrors to hang above it, and I love the oil rubbed bronze fixtures!

I then faced a slight complication.  Madeline and Susannah had loved bathing in our old tub since they were babies because it was a jacuzzi tub.  It had also developed some mold, and if there was the tiniest visible speck of black, they wouldn't stick a toe in it.  So...not wanting another jacuzzi, I was faced with the prospect of disappointing my little angels.  I told Rob of my dilemma, and he told me about a bubble tub.  It has small openings evenly spaced near the bottom.  It requires a motor (not easy to hide), which pushes air through the vents without re-circulating any water; therefore, no mold!  We took out a bank loan (anything for the girls) and bought one from a fancy place in Dallas.

Here it is:




The girls are too busy to stay with me often any more.  However, I LOVE this tub with a passion!  The electricians (Parish Electric) went through the wall and placed the motor in the closet in the adjoining bedroom.  So only a guest staying in there is bothered by the noise!

This picture also shows my fabulous vanity, if I do say so myself, and I do.  I found a photo of this vanity in a magazine.  My talented nephew, Mike Stovall, constructed it for me in unbelievable fashion.  It has multiple drawers and is exactly what I wanted--exactly!  I then took it to Billy Childress in Dallas for the fabric covering.  It turned out exactly like the picture.  Then I found the little mirror and stool!  Voila!  The fabrics are a beautiful green which is not done justice by the picture.

The gorgeous leaded glass window was constructed by Ronnie Beauchamp.  I met his wife, Donna, at The Stitch Niche, invited her to Bible Study Fellowship, and we became good friends.  I can't remember how I found out that Ronnie could do this.  Again, it was exactly what I wanted, with Donna's and Ronnie's expert help.

Here it is at night:  (Oh, and don't miss my chandelier!)




I love every single big and small thing about this bathroom.  Here's the rug atop the 12 x 12 tiles laid diagonally.  Rob's mom, Shirley, suggested the tile size and arrangement, for which I am so grateful!




There is a reason my bathroom is on my mind.  I did all this changing, but I left the old shower enclosure for, well for a long time!  It still looked like new.  Jack dried it off perfectly after every shower.  But, it was the only remaining shiny brass!



 
Here's how it looks now!  It is frameless with oil rubbed bronze hardware.

         

In the interest of good taste, I'm having a debate with myself about whether or not to show you the remaining outstanding feature of my "new" bathroom.  O.K.  I've decided to show you.  It is a Toto commode.  We stayed in a lovely hotel in Tokyo that had one of these.  I came home with this unorthodox item on my wish list.  Among its outstanding features is a heated seat!



So, there you have it.  I'll bet I'm the only person in this whole world of millions and billions of people posting pictures of her potty this Saturday afternoon. 

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! It's like a fancy hotel bathroom or a spa. Don't you feel so special every time you walk in? You should! It's gorgeous! There is no place like home.

    ReplyDelete