Monday, October 17, 2011

An Angel of Mercy

If you have been reading my blogs for a while, you may remember this.  In recounting what God did for us at Silverado, I omitted a VIP.  In fact, she was a very, very important person. 

Her name is Lizeth. Many good caregivers came and went, but Lizeth was there for Jack from the day he arrived until the day he departed.  She developed an amazingly special relationship with Jack.  She was tiny compared to him, and I can still see her looking up at him adoringly.  She kept Jack looking so handsome.  I could always tell the minute I saw him whether or not Lizeth was working that day.  If she was, his hair would be combed just right, and his clothes would match perfectly.  As the community grew, the side on which Jack's room was located filled up, and another wing was opened.  Lizeth was transferred to the "other side," but because of her special relationship with Jack, she was most graciously allowed to keep caring for him.

In March of 2010 I was called in to meet with Silverado hospice.  Jack was being placed under their care.  It seemed like extra attention would be given to him, and I was very excited.  What slipped by me was that the hospice nurse was going to be giving Jack his showers, etc.  That lasted exactly one day.  That's how long it took us (by mutual agreement) to realize that Lizeth had built a relationship with Jack for 16 months that was irreplaceable.

Lizeth came to Jack's funeral but, being unfamiliar with Arlington, got lost and missed much of the tribute to him.  This is my tribute to her.  I will never, ever forget her love, patience, and kindness toward Jack in spite of the fact that he was unable to reciprocate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment