Thursday, March 15, 2012

Untitled Hymn

It was Wednesday--choir rehearsal night--several weeks ago.  We got out music for the first time for an "Untitled Hymn."  The minute we started singing I got all excited! (Can you imagine?  Me...excited?!!)  I had placed this song on my iPod several years ago.  I still remember the first time I heard it.  I was at Grubbs Infiniti getting an oil change.  Grubbs is a Christian owned company which plays Christian music on their waiting room speakers.  The receptionist helped me figure out what it was.

I loved this song for the beauty of its melody and words.  However, when Jim Parks, our minister of music, asked what the song was really saying, I couldn't answer.  Jim walked us through the words very thoughtfully.  He showed us the progression of the verses with profound insight.

It begins with a person who does not know Jesus.
Weak and wounded sinner, lost and left to die; O, raise your head for love (Jesus) is passin' by.
Come to Jesus, come to Jesus, come to Jesus and live!

Then that person meets and embraces Jesus.
Now your burden's lifted and carried far away, and precious blood has washed away the stain.
So sing to Jesus, sing to Jesus, sing to Jesus and live!

That person then begins a walk with Jesus, not being afraid to start as a child, with small steps. 
Like a newborn baby, don't be afraid to crawl.  And remember when you walk sometimes you fall.
So fall on Jesus, fall on Jesus, fall on Jesus and live!

I can particularly identify with this verse, as can many of you--a time of troubles.
Sometimes the way is lonely, and steep and filled with pain, so if your sky is dark and pours the rain,
Then cry to Jesus, cry to Jesus, cry to Jesus and live!

And right now praise the Lord, I can heartily identify with this--immeasurable joy!
And when the love spills over, and music fills the night, and when you can't contain your joy inside,
Then dance for Jesus, dance for Jesus, dance for Jesus and live!  


Because of this verse, I may have to add this to the songs I wish to be sung at my funeral.
And with your final heartbeat, kiss the world goodbye, then go in peace and laugh on Glory's side.
And fly to Jesus, fly to Jesus, fly to Jesus and live! 

Now that I understand this song as the story of a weak and wounded sinner who comes to Jesus, lives for Jesus, and will live eternally with Jesus, I love it even more--if that is possible!  Come to Fielder Church this Sunday morning and hear me and almost a hundred others sing this with all our hearts and souls.  I will be feeling like I'm flying straight to Jesus!  Services are at 9:30 and 11:00.

By the way--it is listed on my iPod as "Untitled Hymn," but I think it can be found as "Come to Jesus" by Chris Rice on iTunes. 





    

No comments:

Post a Comment