Friday, April 15, 2016

Advice on an Anniversary



Jack's funeral was six years ago today.
It was so perfect.
Everything about it--just perfect.


Terri had prepared the most wonderful slide show.
It featured every aspect of Jack's life.
Dr. Gary Smith, who was Jack's friend as well as
his pastor, spoke the perfect words.
Susan and Rob sang beautifully.
Terri honored Jack with a touching eulogy.
And Jay read "Jack's Psalm."
Psalm 112.
I wouldn't change a thing--about the funeral.


So what would I change?
I would have told him all those things we admired
about him earlier and more often!
I found that Psalm while sitting by his bedside
in the last week of his life.
I wish I had found it while he was
still working so hard to provide a comfortable
life for us.
I think he would have been surprised and pleased
that I thought he had influence and honor.
That his good deeds would never be forgotten.
And he would have gotten such a laugh over Rob's
comment about the last verse:
Evil-minded men will be infuriated when they
see all this; they will gnash their teeth in
anger and slink away, their hopes thwarted.
Rob said this could represent their competitors,
suggesting some of the better known ones by name
(just among us!)
Oh, yes.  Jack would have loved that.


Love somebody?
Don't just tell them so.  Tell them why.
Tell them now.  Before it's too late.
Maybe that's out of your comfort zone--or theirs.
Do it anyway.


When darkness overtakes him, light will come
bursting in.
He is kind and merciful--and all goes well
for the generous man who conducts his
business fairly.

Psalm 112
The Living Bible Translation 




4 comments:

  1. I love this, Linda. You might be surprised to know that Jeff and I were talking about Jack this week while driving down I-20...just little things like how kind he was, how much he loved his granddaughters, and what a great smile he had (the kind that made even his eye smile). Just thought you would be pleased to know others were thinking of Jack, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so touched by this, Denise. You and Jeff might have been having this discussion on the anniversary of his home going.

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful post. So hard, but so real. Yes, Linda, I get you. You are my soul sister❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider it an honor and a blessing to be your soul sister. I was thinking about you as I wrote this. You are one of the most amazing women I know.

      Delete