Monday, May 8, 2017

Serving Pope Elementary


Yesterday Fielder Church spread out to serve
the city of Arlington.
We didn't "inhale" the gospel as usual in our comfy 
air-conditioned buildings.
Instead, our many small groups "exhaled" the gospel
 to 23 schools in very practical ways.


I heard my choir mate/friend Brenda Caruthers
say that her group was going to Pope Elementary.
Now a year ago, I had not even heard of Pope,
but it is close to my heart now!  Why?
Because that's where I mentor my precious
ten-year-old boy as part of Kids Hope USA.
So I asked Brenda if I might tag along with them--
and so did our fellow second soprano, Julie Harris!


What I want to tell you about is what was waiting
for us in the hall at Pope.
Those we were serving served us!
There was the most beautiful table of food--
lots of food!
There was fruit, there were sausage rolls, doughnuts,
Danishes, more fruit, and...hot dogs!
I thought that the leaders of our small groups had
brought this, but they did not.
The food was provided by the teachers and staff
of Pope and set up by
David LeMond, Sue Wilhide, and Deana Peterman!
They had put so much effort into welcoming us!
And, I didn't take a picture. 
Does anybody in the sound of my voice have a picture?


In addition to failing in the picture taking department,
 I wasn't that much physical help.
But wow!  Others certainly were.
The principal's office was repainted.
Safety zones were repainted.
The bike rack was painted and looked so much better!
Bags and bags of leaves and trash were filled.
Mulch was spread.
My group did clean out a room, boxing 
and marking extra books.
I know the atrium was cleaned and
many more things about which I am unaware.


I gotta tell you about something else I observed
while at Pope Sunday morning.
THIS....




Deana Peterman and Tracy Gordon McKee were
making their hall look so exciting for the
very un-exciting Staar testing which started today.
Is this not fabulous looking?
(Tracy's parents, Don and Joy Gordon, are 
"bus buddies" of mine on many Sunday mornings!)
I know so many teachers go above and beyond
for our children, but I had never witnessed anything
quite like this.
Deana and Tracy were there when we got there,
and they were still there when we left.
(Oh--and I mustn't forget the third member of
their team: precious Maddie McKee!)


There was so much gratitude expressed for
the service of Fielder folks this Sunday morning.
But, even if it sounds corny...
We were the ones who were most blessed.

We do this twice a year.
If you don't have a church home,
please come join with us in inhaling 
AND EXHALING
Jesus.
You will experience life change.

 















No comments:

Post a Comment