Tuesday, June 6, 2017

An Embarrassing Admission

I have myself convinced that I am not a big worrier.
About big things, maybe I'm not.
You know I travel all over creation alone
with absolutely no fear.
And I spend no time worrying about being snuffed
out by chemical warfare.
I can't believe I'm admitting this, but
 I am a terrible "awfulizer" about small stuff.
That is my cousin Sarah's word for imagining the absolute worst outcome in any situation.


I think I can prove it to you.
We got home from Maui Saturday.
On Sunday night, I realized that one of my
dental crowns had come off, 
and I was chewing upon it!
A most unsettling situation.
Let's see what I can do with it!


My first thought when I saw how little tooth was
left for the crown to cover was...
ROOT CANAL.
So...if I'm going to have a root canal do I go
over to West Fort Worth where the lady endodontist
has moved who was willing to give me a
knock-out drug when doing my previous
root canals?
If I do that, someone will have to take me because 
I certainly can't drive myself.
But I'm afraid I will have a panic attack like I 
have had before if I let my regular dentist
try to do it.
So should I get a new endodontist?
What if they're not into knockout drops?


Well, maybe just maybe I won't have to have a
root canal.
But if I don't, the dentist will surely have to grind
on the tooth at least some to "clean it up."
So, will he have to deaden it?
Otherwise, that grinding is going to send me
into orbit, I'm just sure.
So maybe I'll take my iPod to listen to and,
oh yeah...I'll use the laughing gas!
That should get me through.


And what makes me think he can use that old
crown again?
I don't know what I'll do about chewing
while the lab gets a new one made.
I'm scared to death some of that minimal shell
of a tooth will break off before I even get to his office.
Much less for days while I wait.
 I'm already starving!


And, I am still suffering from jet lag.
This morning (Monday) is the only day I can 
sleep late this week.
Do I really have to get up at the crack so I can
call the dentist's office and make sure I get in?

****************************

As it turns out, his office doesn't open until 11:00
on Monday.
I slept in a bit and still got an appointment for 2:30.
It took about 15 minutes for him to 
cement the same old crown right back on
that shell of a tooth.
No root canal, no grinding, no laughing gas.
Heck, I even forgot my iPod.
Didn't need it.


The sign I'm making here is "shaka" or
"hang loose!"
Not when it comes to dental matters.










3 comments:

  1. I agree with your worrying...I am so like that❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with you sista! I can do things other people are in awe of and, like you go anywhere by myself, but put me in a dentist chair and it's awful. In fact, I've been putting off making an appointment. Maybe I need to call tomorrow. Ugh. Now I'm thinking about all the awfulers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the entertaining message. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete