Monday, June 26, 2017

Why Do I Go To Church?


This blog may not be perfectly theologically sound.
I am just sharing my heart with you
 in all its imperfection.


Do I attend church because I am "religious?"
No.  I am not "religious."  I am a Christian.
I would much prefer that you call me a
"Jesus freak" (I am!) 
than call me "religious."
I believe that religion is man's attempt to
reach God,
while Christianity is God miraculously reaching
down to man.


I go to Fielder Church every Sunday because
I want to obey the Bible's command:
"Let us not neglect meeting together, 
as some have made a habit,
 but let us encourage one another..."
Hebrews 10:25
From this verse we find out that the building on
Fielder Road is not the "church."
The church is the body of believers who unite
in that building.


We unite to worship!!!
We unite to study and learn!!!
We unite to pray for and encourage one another!!!
We unite to inhale the gospel, 
so that we may exhale the gospel to a dying world.
We unite to learn how to serve.


The person who said that organized religion (church)
is for the weak was exactly right.
We know we are weak and in desperate need
of the strength only Jesus can give.
Do I believe going to church makes one a Christian?
No.  Definitely not.
The saying so often quoted is true:
"Going to church doesn't make one a Christian
any more than standing in a garage makes one a car."
But we meet to find strength in our weakness.


In meeting with fellow believers on Sunday morning
I have developed loving relationships.
I serve by singing in the choir,
and feel uplifted and blessed by doing so every week!
I feel like the entire choir is my "family."
I love my "small group" (formerly known as
Sunday School class) and feel like they
are yet another part of my "family."
It is exciting to me that so many believers gather
at Fielder Church that I get to ride a 
bus from the parking lot to the building!
I love the diversity of people I meet in the halls!
I love the spirit of excitement!
Everyone is welcome at Fielder Church.



Of course, I hope I exhibit that 
my whole life is built upon Jesus.
I cannot imagine not going to church on Sunday.
I am not legalistic about attendance, however.
I often miss when I am traveling.
But...it is my way of life.
It is an integral part of my week.
Yes, it is my habit.
But this is one habit I hope never to break.


"It is my eager expectation and hope that I 
will not be at all ashamed,
but with full courage now as always
Christ will be glorified in my body,
whether I live or whether I die.
For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

Phillipians 1:20-21
Linda Jane Lynn Stovall version


No comments:

Post a Comment