Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Remembering Jack, Dad, Gaga


Eight years ago today at 2:00 A.M.
Jack Stovall "burst from the darkness of
Alzheimer's Disease into God's glorious light."
That's how I saw his death.
A glorious homegoing.


We had watched him suffer for ten years.
He fought valiantly. But you don't win against AD.
A line from his obituary reads,
"Even in his illness he was a role model for upright
behavior and tenacious living."


That reminds me of a story which the
Silverado staff loved to tell.
They took Jack with them on all kinds of errands.
If he was riding with a female, he would sit
way over on his side of the car and make absolutely
sure they knew that he was married!


For months and months (maybe years!) the
guest book from Jack's visitation and funeral service
has been missing.
I have wrung my hands!
I was just sure that I would not have 
misplaced it. No...it was probably at the Metzger's.
Actually, I was sure of it. But they weren't. 
Ironically, today I found it--here, in a drawer where I
had placed it, of course.


The reason I wanted to find it, and the reason I'm
telling you about it is that I wanted to be
reminded of all those who attended these services.
And it was such a blessing! 
In the stress of the moment, 
and then with the passing years, 
I had forgotten that some of you were there!
My heart is just overflowing with gratitude
tonight for the love you showed us eight years ago.


Another line I love from his obituary reads,
"Jack's commitment to excellence, integrity, and
God's constant care made a deep and lasting
impression on all who knew him."
The blessings from his devotion still carry over
to all of us today.





This portrait hangs in the office entry.
The plaque reads:

Given in loving memory of
Jack D. Stovall
Stovall Construction, Inc. Employees
2010



No comments:

Post a Comment