Thursday, May 2, 2019

Cruisin' on the Edge! (Part 1)


My booking of this cruise was definitely impulsive.
I had only twelve days to get ready, and
it departed on Easter morning.
Why did I do it?
One night I was overtaken by wanderlust and
started searching for a bargain, last minute cruise.
 I stumbled on this one and could
not resist the newness and the uniqueness
of the ship--the Celebrity Edge.
I'll describe some of the unusual features!
(It was last minute, but unfortunately
 NOT a bargain.)


It was a seven night cruise in the Caribbean, so
I figured I wouldn't need too many clothes!
So...my bag weighed ONLY 49.5 pounds!
I could have taken one more garment! HaHaHa.
I am such a light packer.



Jay and Terri took pictures from the port cam as
we sailed away from Ft. Lauderdale.
This is so exciting to me. 
I AM ON THAT SHIP!!!
I received the pics as I was departing!





Boarding the ship was very slick and quick.
Celebrity allows guests to drop their carry-on bags off
 at their cabins before they are ready for occupancy.
I love this!
My room was already perfect, so I took pictures,
starting with this sign on my door.

I'm going to try to describe my room, an
Infinite Balcony, which is probably the Edge's
most innovative new feature.


The room is open all the way through to the balcony.
The top half of the balcony window lowers at the
touch of a button to have the open air experience.
Right behind the two deck chairs are folding doors
which can be closed to keep the room 
air conditioned while the balcony window is open.
Since I am not an outdoors type (surprise!)
I kept my folding doors open, my window closed,
and my room temperature freezing all the time.
But oh the view! I LOVED it.
There is also a shade which lowers at the touch
of another button and shuts out the sun entirely
for morning sleep!


My bathroom was nice size and so new and clean!
The shower was large and lovely.


I did some ship touring...
Lots of elevators .

The main atrium.


Then I went to the Ocean View Café for lunch
I thought this buffet was outstanding.
 I started out eating healthy. This changes.



I have never on any cruise seen cakes like they had!

Only a very small sample.
(Looked much better than they tasted!)




By the By...in my touring around I saw some
prospects for me in the Solarium.

And this area might scare little children.


And then there was Eden.
It might scare BIG children!
Eden is a large, two level venue right on the 
back of the ship--beautiful view--where, 
among other things, receptions are held.
This is the first sign you see as you approach:


Then the entranceway (totally weird!)
Sorry, it's that dark, and I guess those are trees?
I was just as puzzled walking through there in person.


And here I am at the Captain's 
Welcome Aboard reception.
There are beautiful live plants in Eden!


I had read in my short preparation time for this cruise
that the nightly entertainment in Eden was very 
weird and uncomfortable. 
The performers interact with the audience, 
getting right in their faces, nose to nose.
One man told me he wanted to "punch a
performer in the face!"
I wanted to observe this, but I never found the time.
Just be forewarned.


 My first of 6 room service breakfasts!
Just coffee and Danishes. Just heavenly.




 I ate lunch the first three days here at a counter
at the very back of the ship.
It is right across from the pizza station.
That is a wonderful hand made pizza to order
and my book on my Kindle.

 



This is another special feature of the Edge.
It is the Magic Carpet, a lounge area which travels
up and down the starboard side of the ship.




Another unique feature of the Edge is the rooftop garden.

This is the place movies are shown, BUT it is windy,
which means you never saw my hair there.


The color scheme on the ship is "griege."
A combination of grey and beige.
(9)163 is my room. The elevator lobby is just a few steps
to the right in this picture. Very convenient, except...
I am on the forward end of the ship, 
and food is aft. Probably about half a mile aft!
I averaged about 6,500 steps a day!


A "Edgy" splash of color among the griege?
Goals for your home!




Please tune in again tomorrow as I arrive at
ports and continue the fun!`


No comments:

Post a Comment