Monday, August 12, 2019

You've Been On Too Many Cruises If...Part 2


When last I left you I was cruising on the
Norwegian Breakaway with 50 pounds plus of
clothes, shoes, etc. (lots of etc.!)
and no bag in which to bring them home.

I was a well recognized daily visitor to Guest Services
as they debated what to do about my problem.
They readily accepted responsibility, but their...


Solution #1 was:
They brought out a nice new bag which I could
have, but it was a medium size.
No way would it hold all my stuff.
And they were sorry. They didn't have a bigger one.


Solution #2 was:
They offered me $50.
And said I could file a claim on my travel
insurance as well. (Sounded shady.)
My bag wasn't an expensive one, but it had cost
about twice what they offered.


Solution #3 was:
They would reimburse me for the cost of a new
bag up to $100.
The only problem with that was we were cruising
to tiny ports in the Caribbean.
Where was I going to find a big bag to buy?
"Cozumel," they told me. (Our last stop.)
"There is a big shopping center at the port, and
they will have one there for sure."


And they did. They had ONE (1) (UNO)!
It was a typical mall with dozens of souvenir,
handbag, jewelry, and liquor shops.
It was hot as could be, but I walked the entire
thing, finding nothing.
I can't remember how I finally found the ONE
large bag in Cozumel--in a shop past SenĂ²r Frog's,
in a back corner where I would not have gone.
It was kind of a miracle.


It was a fake Louis Vuitton.
With an obnoxious saleslady.
She said it was $350, and when I balked
reminded me I was gettig a LV!
I couldn't say anything sarcastic, because
I had to get home.
I bargained to the best of my ability, but
still had to pay $250.




Since the bag was more than $100 Guest Services
gave me n.o.t.h.i.n.g.
They said I would have to file on 
my travel insurance.
Which I have not had the fortitude to try yet!


A day at sea and it was time to disembark.
No problem. Disembarkation has became a snap.
Usually I walk straight off the ship with no
waiting in line.
Instead of going through Customs, there is now
something called "Facial Recognition" which 
clears one back into the U.S. easily and quickly.
Except on this voyage of the Breakaway!


I came down and faced the rudest of awakenings.
There was a line to disembark which rivaled
anything you have ever seen at Disneyworld.
It was not serpentine, just stretched for miles.
After inching forward for about 45 minutes, I
finally was able to see the exit.
All I had to do was get there and scan off.
But...wait. Two staff members were allowing about
a dozen people to exit, then stopping and
holding up the line.


I asked with extreme exasperation WHY we were
being held up like that.
One of the employees said that it was because the facial
recognition was taking place on the ship.
That was totally wrong.
Once I got off I never stopped "walking" 
(it was more like "limping along" by then)
before claiming my gen-u-ine Louis and  
arriving at the taxi stand.
There were about 5 lines for facial recognition, 
in the terminal, and not one person in any line.



I was so agitated by this time that I had
completely forgotten my unfortunate choice 
of attire for the day.



Yes, I thought it might be a good conversation starter,
never dreaming the conversation might take
an unkind direction.


Only the monkeys and macaws made it worthwhile!
I think my traveling days may be over for a while
Home is looking pretty good.
Except for...a trip to see my Madeline performing
on the Disney Wonder later this month!
I just know I can wear my t-shirt on that one!











No comments:

Post a Comment