Thursday, November 7, 2019

My Very First Ladies Retreat!


I guess you might say that "it's about time."
Most of the "ladies" at this retreat were nearer the
age of my granddaughters than my own age!
I only went because my dear friend Linda Gipson
invited me, and she's nearer my age, so I thought
she needed a buddy.


The retreat was an activity of iRefuse ministries.
iRefuse was started in 2011 by Michele Alverson.
(Michele gives much credit to my beloved daughter
in love, Terri Stovall, for help and encouragment!)
Michele states that she was at a place in her life
where she desperately needed fellowship 
with other women.
The song "I Refuse" by Josh Wilson was very
popular at the time.
This lyric spoke to Michele clearly:
I refuse to sit around and wait for someone
else to do what God has called me to do myself.



I had no idea what to expect!
I found there was much more reason for me to be
there than just to accompany Linda!



The retreat took place at Riverbend near Glen Rose.
It is a lovely, peaceful retreat center.
This is the entrance. The water tower says "Riverbend."
It is rather remote, and this is what the road signs
look like getting there!



There are lovely motel like cabins, plenty for the 
approximately 60 of us.
Lots of rocking chairs make it so warm and cozy!
In front of our room with Nita, Kathryn, and Ronna.


Behind our room.

Our beautiful view out our back door!




This event was beautifully organized and orchestrated.
We had laminated schedules.
We had great speakers.
We had a hilarious skit!
We had excellent food, to our order!
We had such meaningful music, provided by
Mitch and Becca Alverson and friends.
We even did a craft at which I, Linda Jane Lynn Stovall,
was successful. (Uncraftiest person ever.)



This was sooo fun!


For the more adventuresome, there is a zip line.
I heard lots of screamin'!
There is also archery.


We were placed in small groups.
This is mine as we met in the lovely rose garden.
In a very short time I grew to love these girls.






Here is our entire group:
We even had two girls, Michelle and Anne, come
from Colorado to be with us!




Now lest you think Linda G. and I were afforded
a place of honor as the matriarchs of this group,
I must share this.
The Saturday night of our trip was the night the
time changed and we gained an hour.
We had been warned our cabin walls were paper thin.
We were happily eating popcorn and candy and
laughing and talking in our room when Linda 
got a phone message. It was Melinda, her daughter.
(Michele, the founder, is also Linda's daughter.)
Anyhoo, Melinda said, "You ladies need to go to bed."
{Susan Metzger would have been proud.}
Linda texted back, "We are in bed!"
Melinda: "Well go to sleep!!!"
We don't get no r.e.s.p.e.c.t.  Even at Riverbend!



The theme of our weekend was
"Be Intentional."
Intentionality is something I must admit I had never
 given much thought to.
I have come home with a renewed determination to
be intentional (not just drift along) in my
relationships with my friends, my family, and 
most importantly with my God.


Remember how I said I didn't know a mission
trip could be such fun?
Now I feel the same way about a retreat.
So inspiring AND so joy filled.
I hope to be able to go back next year!
Not for Linda G. this time.
For Linda S.















No comments:

Post a Comment