Sunday, December 12, 2010

The First Christmas Without Jack

Several people have expressed concern and sympathy to me concerning this Christmas season.  In church this morning I experienced some realizations.  I went to the 11:00 service (can you say "sleepy-head?")

Two years ago I sat in the same service at the same time of year in about the same location.  On November 21, 2008,  I had just had to move the one I had promised 51 years earlier "to have and to hold"  into  Silverado Senior Living.  It was a wonderful place, but it was not our home.  When the notes of the first Christmas carol fell on my ears, I completely lost composure.  This was probably the only time this happened in public, but I had to sit down because of uncontrollable sobbing.

That Christmas, 2008, and the previous one were the hardest for me.  Jack was hospitalized in 2007, released on December 24th.  That was actually the lowest point in our whole journey with the insidious disease.  So...I appreciate all concern so much, but this Christmas is joyous knowing that Jack is free of the humiliation and suffering of his last 10 years.

3 comments:

  1. wow you are a wonderful woman! blessed beyond belief and someone I look up to whole heartedly. love you

    Lakisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Linda. thanks for sharing. What a blessed Christmas season you will have this year in celebration of the birth of our King and celebration of Jack. And yes you will be invited to my future wedding! of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free of the humiliation and suffering...beautifully said. My Mother is living it right now.
    Mary$

    ReplyDelete