Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Magical Memories of Holiday Magic

For several years Susan was on the steering committee for the Arlington Junior League's annual Holiday Magic.  One of the perks of these jobs was that her daughter(s) got to model in the wonderful style show.  Here is Madeline doing her first gig.  (The photographer pointed out to us that at her young age she knew to make eye contact with the camera!)


And here she is in a later year with her little sister, Susannah baby!


I have two especially wonderful memories which make Holiday Magic magical to me.  Part of the fun of the event to the girls was getting to hang around the market area after the style show.  The first occurrence involved only Madeline.  In shopping around she found something for us that she felt we absolutely must have!  When we arrived, she immediately took us to show us.  Here is her great find, now hanging on my tree.


Yes, it's bride and groom ornaments for her grandparents who were a bride and groom almost 50 years before!  I don't know whether or not you can see it, but these ornaments were personalized.  I wonder if I was able to keep a straight face when I said, "That would be Mimi and Gaga."  Of course, now if I had a fire in my house, these ornaments just might be the first thing I would save! 

The second story came from that collection of memories that I jotted down but never got written in my special album.  It happened in a year that Susan was in charge of all the entertainment for Holiday Magic.  This meant she had to stay for the entire day after the luncheon and style show.  The girls wanted, begged, insisted upon staying also.  Here was the group: Chandler, 6th grade, Madeline, 3rd grade, Cassie, 3rd grade, Susannah, 1st grade,  and a younger girl named Olivia.  They ran around that market all day in a pack shopping, visiting, sampling the food (until Susan told them to quit), and just generally having a ball.  By evening, they were all totally exhausted.  Little Olivia, the baby of the group, broke down completely and was crying her eyes out.  Madeline wrapped her arms around her and said, "Don't worry, Olivia.  I feel like doing exactly the same thing."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment