Friday, January 27, 2012

Scarf Envy

Have you noticed that everywhere you go you see lovely ladies wearing scarves?  And they look so cool...so sophisticated.  My Susan is among the best at attractively wearing a scarf.  Her mother is not.  Susan's scarves never seem to move out of place.  Mine never seem to find the right place.

I have a turquoise felt jacket with the perfect, perfectly beautiful matching scarf.  I put this ensemble on one Sunday morning recently.  When I felt I had found just the right jaunty angle for the scarf--which was casually thrown over my left shoulder--I decided to take matters into my own hands and safety pin the thing in place.  The casual effect of this arrangement was ruined when a couple of people at church had to "fix" my scarf.  The end that was supposed to be thrown behind me was hanging down in the front.  I practically melted into a pool of tackiness.

Yesterday I took a friend for a medical procedure.  I put on a sweater and matching scarf.  I did the thing where you throw both ends behind you, somehow contort your arms to cross the two ends over in the back, then bring the ends to the front.  If I do say so myself, and I do, for once I looked pretty good.  I did a bit of self admiration in the mirror at the surgery center before going to eat my yogurt which I had brought with me for breakfast.  Then I settled in to read my book.  I don't know what caused me to reach up and adjust my scarf (other than habit), but when I did, I felt something soggy.  Hoping it was just a drop of the water I had been drinking, I pulled the scarf out a bit and looked down to check.  I had dribbled quite a bit of yogurt onto my well-placed scarf!  I just give up!

Literally everyone in New York wears a scarf.  Actually I did quite well with mine there.  It was solid black, and I didn't care how it was tied as long as it kept some of that cold air out.  Of course, we hauled our frozen selves down to Canal Street for some bargains.  I didn't buy much--just two SCARVES!  What was I thinking?

1 comment:

  1. I am with you, Linda. I love looking at people's scarves and would love to wear them, but I can't stand something around my neck making me hot. I don't even like wearing a collar. Maybe I can find some "cool" scarf to wear sometime. You are such a good writer. I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete