Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Same Old Resolution: New Approach

A post on Facebook this morning by my friend Deanne Hammons really grabbed my attention.  The article to which the post referred was by Lysa TerKeurst and regarded our age old nemesis: weight!  In discussing her struggle with ever increasing jean size, Lysa realized that there was a more important problem within her heart.  She said her weight was an outside indication of an internal situation.  Then she said, "Honestly, I might as well have taken Psalm 23 which talks about the Lord being my shepherd and my comfort and replaced His Name with various foods."  I identified with this concept, so I did just that.

1.      Food is my shepherd, I shall not want.

2, 3.  Doughnuts make me lie down in green pastures.  Ice cream leads me beside still waters.  Coffee    restores my soul.  Starbucks leads me in paths of righteousness for its name's sake.
 
4.      Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I am able to ignore all dangers, for    pizza is with me; chips and dip comfort me.

5.      Restaurants prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; they anoint my plate with any food I desire; they keep my glass filled to overflowing.

6.      Surely fatness and high cholesterol shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the
house of unhealthy misery forever.

This year of 2012, I do not want to crave food more than I crave God's presence in my life.  I do not want to turn to food to be the friend with whom I celebrate the good times.  I do not want to ever rely on food to be my comfort. 

Lysa suggested keeping a pocket sized notebook nearby.  When food is craved, ask "Am I really hungry or am I craving something else like comfort, peace, or a reward?" 

I just looked up "nemesis" in Webster's.  One of the definitions is: "An opponent that cannot be beaten or overcome."  Weight is not a nemesis in this respect because, "I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength."  Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment