Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Palm Springs Follies

When I made my reservation for the Palm Springs trip with my bank travel club, I was asked if I wanted to add the optional Palm Springs Follies show.  I was not too interested, but our hostess said everyone was going.  I didn't want to be a square, so I forked over $90 to be included. 

I missed the fine print when reading about the follies.  It said, "This show features music and dance from the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's--with a cast old enough to have lived it!"  So...I didn't know what to expect.

The venue was charming--a huge, beautifully refurbished movie theatre in quaint downtown Palm Springs.  It was immaculate.  Every light burned, and every seat was filled!  Susan would have loved it!

The first act of the show was a rather typical gaudy, wild musical spectacular.  Things got more interesting in the second act.  Each of the "showgirls" was introduced individually as she walked down a staircase, assisted by her gentleman partner.  They all wore the most elaborate and expensive-looking costumes I have ever seen.  The headdresses were HUGE.  I don't know how the "showgirls" even held them aloft!

There was something very unusual about the ten showgirls.  One by one they gave their bios, including their impressive past gigs and their ages!  When the first one said she was 60 years old, I was surprised to say the least.  The next two were 63, then 68, 69, 73, 74, 75, 76, and the oldest was 78!  They were all slim and trim looking, but their fabulous costumes seemed to be made of industrial strength Spanx with appropriately placed embellishments.  My only photo:



The third act featured guest star, 70-year-old John Davidson!  He was very entertaining, with a shock of very white hair providing many laughs.  His singing was still very pleasant.  I really enjoyed seeing him in person.

So...if you think you've seen everything, you probably haven't, unless you've been to the Palm Springs Follies with its "Thousand-Year-Old Chorus Line."  That statement is on the cover of the Follies Confidential, a National Enquirer type magazine we were handed as we entered.  It also touts an article about  the "World's Oldest Showgirl" who "must still work to feed 7 children and 13 grandchildren!"  She is supposedly the one who is 78!

I think once is plenty for me to see the Follies, but it was certainly a unique experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment