Monday, August 13, 2012

Roof Progress Report

I know you are all waiting with bated breath to hear from me about THE ROOF.  No, there are no "after" pictures yet.  It has been one week today.  The roofers have been here every day in varying numbers.  It seems the number is always smaller on Monday!

The good news is that I had no leaks whatsoever during last night's scary storm.  The chief roofer (a very nice guy) came by yesterday afternoon and did a bit of work on the roof, and I was a bit nervous.  When the rain hit, I turned on all the lights in the house and walked around checking for leaks.  If it didn't leak in that rain in its incomplete state, I think I have a good, safe roof!

Since everyone is of the opinion (including me) that a roof will be completed in a couple of days, I somehow feel compelled to explain why mine is taking longer (forever).  I took these pictures to try to capture all the, well, I don't know what you call them, maybe elevations?  Maybe peaks and valleys?  Maybe little pointy things?






There just aren't many straight, flat sections on the entire roof.  Looks very complicated to me.

Also, before getting to this stage, the old Hardie Shakes had to be removed.  They are brittle and crumbly, making removal a tedious process.  

This photo is to try to show a better view of the new roof.  The best of the good news is, "I really like it!!"




I still have to have my car out and in the neighbor's driveway by 7:00.  I still have a bit of a mess on my driveway.  (See the shadows of the roofers?)

 

But the noise has lessened for the time being.  Charleigh-Girl is no longer in the closet.  She is actually sleeping on the floor right by me.  And, after telling the boss about the six nails in the driveway, I haven't found another single one!

This is so much better than having workers inside the house for this long.  I am dealing quite well with it in anticipation of my great new roof!

4 comments:

  1. It is good that you decided to have your roof fixed and replaced. Now you don’t have to worry about leaks on rainy days. The process may seem to be tedious and time consuming, but I’m pretty sure that your roof will turn out great!


    Gabrielle Jeromy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don’t worry, Linda. As soon as you see the end results, you can breathe a sigh of relief. Looking at the pictures, I can see that you have an unconventional roof structure. With this kind of structure, the roofers need to meticulously install each part to get the exact look you want for your roof.

    -Son Lakhani

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I want to say that you have a very gorgeous house, Linda! It looks like a mini-castle! And in regards to the roof progress, I think by now, all the work is finished. Roof works entail accuracy and attention to detail. And I think your roofers wanted to make sure that your roof is well installed and with no glitch. After that, you can enjoy the peace and the new roof!

    Nelson Mcglaughlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually read the last post about your roof first, so I decided to go back to where it all started. I must say that this has been quite of an adventure for you! You’ve cited a lot of problems regarding the repairs. The issue about the size and slope of your roof is the one that I can remember. :P All I’m trying to say is that the time, effort, and money were very well spent because your roof was completely transformed!

    Tiffany Larsen

    ReplyDelete