Thursday, March 7, 2013

My New Hobby!!!

Every girl can use another hobby, right?
So I'm going to adopt flower arranging as my newest and latest!
I've spent way too much time this morning trying to find a class.
(Thank you, Lord, for your gift of time to me!)
Just knew Central Market would have one, but no!
So what's the obvious answer?  You Tube, of course!
I have watched several tutorials, but the things they taught were things I already knew--like cutting the stems at an angle.
I did learn that my flowers will last much longer if I change the water daily or every other daily!  But they didn't tell me just how to accomplish that.  I think I need a big suction thing to get the water out without ruining my "flower do." (Get it--as in "hair do.")

I am going to be very brave and show you some of my beginning efforts.


      
That is the front door you see in the pictures, and the second is taken from the stairwell.  Won't it be wonderful if I can keep fresh flowers there to greet my (few) guests.  Better than Charleigh-Girl's greeting!


This one is in my kitchen.  Can you see the rocks in the bottom of the vase (no!) and the three butterflies? (Probably not!)  
  Somehow doesn't give the proper effect, but here's a closeup of a butterfly. 
 

 I remember being very proud of this one.  I left the daisies fastened together.  The plaque is a gift from cousin Sarah.  It says, "The measure of love is to love without measure."
 

 This was an accomplishment for me!  I actually planted it meself for Easter!


These were beautiful flowers (from Costco, I think) that I arranged for a luncheon and cards Sarah gave in honor of my visit to her home in Tucson.  Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself, and I do!

Incidentally, the gorgeous vase used in the first and third arrangements is mine because of Jennifer Dean.  It was on her wish list when she and Ryan married, and I loved it so much I bought one for myself, too.
  
I'll try to update you with progress reports as I develop my "skills!?"  One thing about it--flowers are so beautiful that even I can't mess them up completely!

  

2 comments: