Friday, July 11, 2014

Alzheimer's and Jack's Work


In late 2000 construction began on the new
Stovall Construction, Inc.
office on Highway 287.
The superintendent?  Jack Stovall.
Now I don't know if he had ever actually been 
a superintendent on one of his jobs,
 but certainly not in many a year!

Looking back, I think...
"How could I not have seen God's hand in this?"
Jack had personally found the land for the building.
He had helped the architect with the design. 
It was "his baby."


Additionally,
it got him out of the office and exposed him to
 fewer opportunities to make obvious gaffes.
He seemed content to be there.
Other supers could stop by to "visit" and
casually lend a hand.

There were, however, a couple of telling incidents
on the construction site that I heard about
 (and probably many more that I didn't!)

Must have been early on...
Jack called the framing contractor one afternoon 
complaining bitterly that he hadn't sent
his employee out to the job as promised that day.
Uh oh.
The guy had been there that morning. 
And Jack had seen and talked to him.

As I sit here thinking about this something came
back to me.
I think he told me about the mistake with the
framer himself--with heart-breaking
sadness and frustration.
What a cruel disease.

Then one day Jack called Rick, his estimator,
at the old office asking him to locate
something in their warehouse and bring
it to the new building.
Rick had a terrible time finding whatever it was.
(The warehouse was a hoarder's dream.)
When he finally located it, he delivered it to Jack.
And Jack said, "I didn't ask for that."
Bless Rick's heart.
He was faithful and invaluable to Jack to the end.



The beautiful new office was complete in 
September, 2001.
Move in day was about one week after 9/11.
One thing I remember distinctly is that the events
of 9/11 didn't seem to have the same impact
on Jack that they had on the rest of us.
What a strange disease.


Here it is. 






 It's amazing that I can't remember more.
I'm sure Jay and Rob can.
They never complained to me, however.
I didn't start making notes until about 5 years in.
And I didn't make that many then.


The main focus of those first 5 years was
secrecy.
Jack did not want anyone to know.
Although I tried desperately to honor his wish,
I told him I thought it was a mistake.
Now I think I was wrong.


 "When people know you have Alzheimer's 
you become branded--it's like you have a
big "A" stamped on your forehead.
People treat you differently."

from Chicken Soup for the Soul
Living with Alzheimer's..." 









No comments:

Post a Comment