Wednesday, July 16, 2014

And as for Me vs. Alzheimer's...



From now on you may just call me Nancy...
Reagan, that is.
By 2001 I had my plan mapped out.
I would "stand by my man" just like she stood by hers.
I would fiercely protect and defend him.
And...
I would hire round the clock helpers if it became
necessary, but
I would never place him anywhere outside his home.
This was my plan for at least 5 years, 
and you best not have argued or tried to reason with me.
I took a vow to "have and to hold him,
for better or for worse, in sickness or in health,
until death do us part."


I had very valid reasons for being adamantly
opposed to "nursing homes."
My mother was physically mistreated in one
before she was 50 years old.
Jack's mother, who also had Alzheimer's,
died in one which was conveniently close
 but not ideal by a long shot.


 My noble plan worked fine in the beginning.
I protected him by never telling anyone.
I, therefore, didn't have to defend him
(except to that female neurologist in Dallas!)
I did often cover for him.
When he was obviously not remembering
something, I would say,
"You remember thus and such," and
he would usually go along with me.
I always got a table for 2 on our cruises, so
his inability to remember would not be exposed. 

********************************

Just a little aside here...
In September of 2003 we cruised through
the Panama Canal on the
Coral Princess.
Here we are at our first formal dinner.

Now this is, technically at least, a
"table for two by the windows."
(Their most popular request.)
That's a window right by us looking out on the
beautiful sea.
There is, however, a problem with this
particular table for two.



There are only inches between it and another
table for 2.
Might as well have been a table for 4!
It made for tense dinners for me, as
Jack neither remembered what he had said
nor what he had heard
the night before.
I was always relieved when Frank and Josephine
opted to dine elsewhere!

********************************


I was shocked to receive a phone call in 2002
from the chairman of the Board of Directors
at the bank where Jack served.
(NOT wonderful Skip Leffler--he was
President)
I did not react appropriately, and it
was a lesson learned.
He told me "they" were worried about
Jack's memory.
(Actually it was he who was, not they.)
Instead of reacting calmly and matter-of-factly, I
poured out my heart.
Wrong person.  Wrong decision.
Be more careful, Nancy.


I don't remember how long Jack kept going to
the office daily.
I do remember a rare incident in 2003
when he came home after riding with someone
all day to look at the jobs in progress.
He told me, very sadly, that
he didn't think he could handle a job any more.
("Handle" meant oversee it from his office.)
That, however, was an unusual moment of clarity.
He usually thought he could still do
anything he could ever do.
Big gigantic problem!!!


Remember my quote about AD?
"If you've seen one case of Alzheimer's Disease...
you've seen one case of Alzheimer's Disease."
In our case,
we rarely talked about it.
He knew he had it, but he was going to beat it.
I knew he had it, but I was going to handle it.
Actually, neither was going to happen.



 








 

2 comments:

  1. Kaitlyn Evans TrabuccoJuly 16, 2014 at 10:36 PM

    Linda, ( I mean Nancy =) keep writing these. I read every word. You are so beautiful inside and out. And I don't know if you received my last comments I wrote on your post ( I don't think it saved) that you are an inspirational to us newlywed couples out there. Please keep sharing your stories of love, trials and faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to my readers: Kaitlyn was the inspiration for my trip to Haiti. She was the one working in the orphanage there. She has now married her wonderful Chad and started her own business in California. I love Kaitlyn.

    ReplyDelete