Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Last But Not Least Stop



Our flights for the Biltmore trip were in and out of the
Charlotte, North Carolina, airport.
Very near the airport was our last stop,
the Billy Graham Library.
It was located right off of Billy Graham Parkway,
a major thoroughfare.


Now I'm really proud to feel Billy Graham is part
of my generation.
I've been his great admirer all my life.
I actually went to a crusade one time--
in person!


I found his to be outstanding among the libraries
that I've visited in my long lifetime.
The setting is lovely.
The volunteers there are so pleasant.
The presentations are organized and interesting.
I liked it even more than I expected.


We entered the library "at the foot of the cross."
(See a greeter standing at the door?)
 

The Grahams were dairy farmers, so
a very realistic animated "Bessie the Cow" greets visitors
and starts them on their way through
The Journey of Faith.


 
There are many clips of Billy speaking.
Then there are enthralling pictures of him.
I especially loved the ones with the eleven
presidents by whom he was called "pastor."
My favorite was one of Ronald and Nancy Reagan
with Billy.
Nancy had her hands on his waist and was
looking up at him so admiringly.


I took a picture of this old piano with equally
old sheet music on it.

Because...look what I have.



Also on the library grounds is the Graham childhood home.
It was actually moved here from a few miles away.


That's one of our fearless leaders and my dear friend,
Kim Carb,
standing in front of the lovely home.



Ruth Graham passed away in 2008 and is
buried on the beautiful premises.
Billy will be buried beside her.



Also buried there are Cliff Barrows,
the music director for the Billy Graham Evangelistic
Association,
and George Beverly Shea, the incomparable
baritone soloist for the crusades.





I was looking forward to dining at the
Graham Brothers Dairy Bar
at the conclusion of my tour.  
But by the time I made it through and shopped
 the gift shop, there was not enough time left!


This was one of my purchases:


A fitting conclusion to a wonderful trip.







No comments:

Post a Comment