Monday, November 3, 2014

You May Want to Put This on Your Bucket List

 

I feel like I've been to Downton Abbey with
only a two-hour plane ride!
I went with my bank travel club to the
Biltmore Estate in Asheville, N. Carolina.
It was FABULOUS!

The estate covers over 8,000 acres.
We stayed in the relatively new Inn on Biltmore,
a lovely spot!
It is an approximately twenty minute drive
from here to the Biltmore home.



  There were two HUGE fireplaces.
This one was in the dining room.


 
This is my room.



And my bathroom.
(Let me apologize now.  I actually just
wanted to post a picture of my only new outfit
for the trip.) 
(Yes, I realize all you can really see here
is the potty.)
(Well, and the beautiful red rose.)


That's a Keurig, so I fixed myself a cup of coffee
and enjoyed the view!
We had one of the best dinners I've ever had in the
Inn dining room the first night.
And the breakfast buffets were absolutely fabulous!
(including cheese blintzes and cheese grits!)


Our first (very full!) day was just the "warm up act."
I could do a blog on each of the places we went,
but since you don't want to read this for 3 days, 
I'll spare you.


Our first stops were in the lovely town of
Asheville, North Carolina.
  Number 1: a magnificent church.
Lots of history.


You would enjoy seeing this if you go there!


Switching gears, our second stop was in the
beautiful, spotlessly clean downtown area,
called by some the "Paris of the South."
The most memorable part to me?
Having lunch at this Woolworth lunch counter!
(I know--not very Parisian!)





Then we headed out of town for Chimney Rock.
This was described to us as a...
"500-million-year-old towering monolith"
(which I looked up--all one rock)!

 
 (I'm using their picture--much better than mine.)

 
A 26 story elevator through the rock
 enabled us to go to the top
(plus these steps!)

(That's not me--I'm the photographer!)
But I did ascend!  And descend!
And hurt!

  Glad I brought a jacket.



Never fails to stir me old heart strings.

 

 From the top of Chimney Rock we could see
our next destination--Lake Lure.



Lake Lure has one claim to fame:
the sight of filming for the movie Dirty Dancing.
 
Here we are cruising the lake--quite beautiful.

  
And here's the Inn--old and very charming.




But...there's a big BUT.

I understand that
this staircase, seen from the cruise boat, is the
ONLY thing about this place you see in the movie!!!


 


Yes, I know it's a bit blurry, but you MUST see it.
My friend Charlotte says Jennifer Grey comes
tripping down these stairs carrying a watermelon.
I can't wait to watch the movie again to see
if I can find anything else that looks familiar.
Oh...the stars did stay in the Lake Lure Inn!


So, we're all warmed up and ready for the
MAIN EVENT!

This is the Biltmore Estate in the fall.

If I told you I took this beautiful shot, 
would you believe me?
Well, you shouldn't.
Here's my shot of our first view--from the bus!




This is the largest privately owned home in the U.S.
Touring it was one fabulous experience.

 No pictures were allowed inside.
(I hear you breathing a sigh of relief!)
I would especially have liked to take approximately
ten jillion of the Christmas decorating that was
going on and the many beautiful trees 
already glowing (as many as 3 to a room!)


I have been through quite a few mansions and palaces,
and somehow this one especially impressed me.
The audio guide to the home was just perfect.  
I listened to every word.
There are 3 floors and a basement to tour!
 And one small elevator only for those who 
really need it--and that didn't include me.
Instead, I had to swallow a few Advil for my
aching legs!


Here I am on a balcony at the Biltmore!



We had the afternoon free, so I returned to the
Estate to tour the gardens.
(Ugh--more stairs--MANY more.)
But, it was worth it.  My pictures are as good
as the professional ones
(if I do say so myself, and I do.)

 





The conservatory:


 And...I'm not an orchid aficionado, but I know
some of you are.
These struck me as very special! 
Am I right?










Okay.  I'm as tired as if I walked the estate
grounds today.
I'm going to save the last stop on our trip
until tomorrow.
I know you'll be waiting with bated breath!!!
At least I was.







                                                    

1 comment:

  1. Linda, a friend and I went to Ashville this past April and toured the town and the Biltmore and I agree ... it is a "must see" place ... breathtaking. And we also went to Chimney mountain and can't remember the exact name of the other mountain ... Black Bear or something like that.

    ReplyDelete