Saturday, June 29, 2019

A Nerve Wracking Beginning


I just can't wait to tell you about our trip to Colombia.
Nineteen Fielder Church members from our three
campuses departed on Friday, June 21st.
Here are our departure instructions.



My daughter Susan took me to the airport.
We were determined not to be late, so she let me 
out where I thought we were to meet right on time.
Only problem--nobody there.
While she went to park I started down a long
hall with my giant suitcase full of gifts, etc., and
my carry on, while wearing my backpack.
Almost immediately a young man looked at me
and asked, "Do you need some help?"
And from that moment on I accepted ALL help offered!


I found the group. Susan found the group.
The group had to change ticket counters.
We trudged back past where I had started and
got in a nice short line to check in.
Jim and Elizabeth Parks insisted I go ahead
of them, making me first.
Someone set my huge checked bag, which we had 
weighed at forty something pounds before we
left home, on the scale. 56.5 pounds. NOOooooo!
Susan wasted no time opening it, and my new
friends started accepting items out of it
and putting them in their bags. 
Their kindness was already showing.


Jim, Elizabeth, Susan, and me before disaster struck!



But that problem paled in comparison to the next
one which jumped up.
I was not on the roster for that flight.
And it was full. My heart was sinking. 
Then the gate agent found my name on an earlier 
flight which was about to depart!
She rushed us off (back down that long hall again)
to try to catch it.
We rounded the corner to find a long security line.
(This is Gate A 11. If you are departing there, you need
to just spend the night at the airport. It is HORRIBLE.)
My girl nudged me along, asking people if we
could go ahead of them because "My mom is
going on a mission trip (the old mission trip card)
and is about to miss her flight."
Few looked very happy about it, but
we advanced to the head of the line...
which turned out to be the line going nowhere.
We stood there for-ev-er with the time ticking away.


It's not over.
Susan had shifted something to my carry on bag which
could not fly. I had tears in my eyes when they 
pulled it out for screening.
Slow, nonchalant screening.
When she finally got to it, the screener did throw
  the item away quickly and release me.



Thank you, Lord, I was very close to my gate.
The last group was being boarded when I got there,
but I made it!
I think I had about 5 minutes to spare.
If our leader had not had us change ticket counters...
If Jim and Elizabeth had not put me ahead of them...
If Susan had not helped me to the head of the line...
Any one of those three...
there is no way I could have made my flight.
God was working miracles from the start.


Those of you who read about my travels know this
could not have happened to a better person.
My nerves settled down as soon as I was on the plane.
It did not shake me up in the least to arrive in Miami
before the 18 others.
As it turned out, I was met by Shane from 
Compassion International, who took me to the
Centurion Club for a lovely lunch.


Meanwhile back at DFW my friends new and old
were gathering in a circle praying for me.
Sweet things.
I should have been praying for them. 
 Their flight was delayed at least twice, so
I don't remember what time they finally
arrived in Miami.
At least they all knew who Linda was from the start!
They were so glad to see me, and I them.
It was nice to fly on to Bogata, Colombia,
all on the same flight!


I told our leader, David Hynson, that I was really
rather glad the trip started as it did.
What kind of beginning would it be to my blog
if I just routinely arrived and boarded with my group?
(Recalling the event, though, is definitely
making my innards churn!)


Much more to come, compadres!
It will make you want to go!







1 comment: