Saturday, June 6, 2020

Maiden Voyage Back to Grocery Shopping


Last night I had about exhausted the food readily
available to eat in my house.
(Translation: anything that didn't have to be cooked.)
I did have a block of cheese that was slightly past 
its "Best By" date and some pimentos.
So I got out my ancient food processor, 
grated the cheese, and with high expectations
created my own
"Mimi's Homemade Pimento Cheese."


I had a sandwich for dinner.
It was not very impressive, especially considering
 all the mess it had created.


So...today I decided what my sandwiches  
needed was some good, fresh tomato slices.
Now I haven't been inside a grocery store
since March 12th, so I decided Green's Produce
would be the  best destination for my break-out.
Semi open air, easy in and out, best tomatoes.


Green's is trying really hard.
One way in, one way out. Sanitizer available at
entry, along with plastic gloves if you desire.
Wasn't overly crowded even on Saturday.
The young man putting out the (Florida?) tomatoes
was wearing serious gloves.
I know because I had to ask him to open my
plastic bag for me since I had on those non-serious ones.


I got my 2 tomatoes, along with a few other things
(of course!)
When I got to the check out stand, things took
a downhill turn!
The girl who was going to check me out was...
changing the plastic bag in the trash can 
without gloves. I had to wait while she finished!



And...one of my tomatoes had fallen out of its
plastic bag. I stood there stunned as hands went
from the trash can to my little naked tomato
to the scale.
When the girl brought out the bag with tomato, 
she didn't even bother to put little naked back in it.
Which is actually a good thing. I knew which
one to scrub the life out of when I got home.



I haven't tried my tomatoes, so I can't rate them yet.  
I still give Green's a high rating for effort in 
keeping their customers safe.
But I am in dry dock again, I guess.
I will willingly stay quarantined for
a while longer, since I can't disregard that I am
among the vulnerable. 
Maybe that was the purpose of my trip.



P. S.  Susan did offer to bring tomatoes to me more
than once, but I thought I was ready for this!




No comments:

Post a Comment