Wednesday, January 12, 2011

No U-Verse for me!

This was the day I was scheduled to get U-Verse.  A technician showed up right on time and went directly to the side of the house where the phone line comes in.  I was apprehensive, because I tried to get U-Verse several years ago and was told our phone line was not strong enough.  But surely, I thought, technology has improved by now.

I had put "Barky-Girl" outside, thinking the man would be inside, so she was barking her head off at him.  After 15 minutes or so, he rang the bell.  I knew almost immediately that the news was not good.
Turns out I am still 3600 to 3800 feet from something that I can only be 3000 feet from at the max.

No problem.  I'll just stick with Dish Network.  It has worked well for me.  So I begin the long process of trying to get a new HD receiver from Dish.  Now mind you U-Verse was going to give me all kinds of rewards for switching over.  BUT...Dish is not only giving me NO rewards whatsoever, they are going to charge me for the HD receiver AND INSTALLATION!  Why?  Because I am an existing customer.  Yeah, one who's been paying them for years.

And so we began a series of "Please hold while I transfer you to..."  I will say everyone I talked to was very nice and received my threats of switching to Direct TV with polite concern!  I ended up canceling my account with Dish and reapplying as a new customer.  I get the HD receiver and installation free, free HD for life (that was going to be $10 a month to me, loyal customer), $15 per month discount for the first year, etc.  And they will be here tomorrow!

It is a wonderful world, but wacky!

No comments:

Post a Comment