Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Not my smoothest departure

December 29, 2010.  Flight leaving for LAX and the Rose Bowl Parade at 1:20 P.M.  I arrive at the airport at 11:00ish.  Valet park.  Valet asks me twice if I have everything out of my car.  I assure him I do. 

Go inside.  So self-assured because, suave traveler that I am, I know how to check myself in at kiosk without assistance.  As soon as I get checked in I realize I left my coat (necessity!) in the car!  Run back across street, with bags, and car still there.  First lucky break.  Get coat.  Come back inside to drop bag.  Self confidence turns to frustration.  One person slowly taking bags for all of us who checked ourselves in.  Takes forever to drop bag.  Very long security line, but all frustration in vain.  Made it fine. 

Get inside.  Reach for phone to text kids.  No phone.  Left IT in the car, too.  Leave my carry-on and coat with friends.  Leave secured area.  Cross street.  Car gone.  Attendant radios.  Phone IS in car.  Wait an eternity.  Shuttle driver brings me my phone.  Back through security again.

Kay and Kim, our leaders from SW Bank, have brought us wonderful lunches from The Lunch Box.  I now try to get a drink so I can eat my lunch immediately on plane.  (Yes, I cannot eat without something to drink.)  Found a machine.  Have lots of quarters and $20 bills.  It takes only $1's and $5's.  But, it takes credit cards.  Swipe and swipe and swipe my card.  Nothing happens.  It says all you have to do is tap card.  But where?  I tap all over that machine.  Hope it wasn't charging me for every swipe and tap, cause I got no drink.

The good news:  everything looked up from there.  Had aisle seat for very nice flight.  Didn't starve before drink served on plane.  Box lunch wonderful.  I don't believe I've ever seen so much in 4 days.  Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  Checking it off my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment