Friday, April 29, 2011

MAPQUEST, SCHMAPQUEST!

One of the competitions for Martin's one-act play progression was held at Waxahachie High School.  Wanting to be the cool and independent Mimi, I looked up the route on Mapquest.  Big mistake.  I think I was within a mile or two of the school when my directions had me exit Hwy. 287 and go completely wrong.  When I finally stopped and went in a little country store, I was about 4 miles from the school.  This was o.k. for me--I was early enough that I made it in time to see the play.  But...

My friend Silvia Monzon suffered the same fate.  She ended up in Red Oak following her directions!  The really bad part is that Silvia had the young thespians'  lunch with her.  (Silvia is amazing.  She has a full time job and still does this kind of thing all the time!)  So she and I did a lot of commiserating!

Now when I bought my Priius I got a built-in navigation system.  I was excited until I tried to use it.  My first hint of trouble came when I entered the "start" point, my home address.  The thing told me that address did not exist!  I persevered, and entered the address of Silverado when I was visiting for the first time.  I had no earthly idea how to get to 8855 W. Valley Ranch Parkway, Irving.  Off I went, feeling so confident.  That lasted until I got to a point (nowhere close to Silverado) where it was instructing me to make a U turn, then another U.  I was going in a circle--a very small one.  I was an hour and a half late for my appointment. 

In Jay's eulogy at Jack's funeral, he referred to the fact that Jack never used Google maps, a GPS, or even Mapsco.  He used old-fashioned paper maps.  He had dozens of them.  But you know what?  I don't remember him ever winding up in Red Oak!  As Jay said, "I am pretty sure he could get anywhere he wanted to go."

No comments:

Post a Comment