Thursday, October 23, 2014

Do You Have This Trait?


Flexibility.


Now I'm not talking about the type of "flexibleness"
that my friend Sandy Clark has.
She is a grandmother (albeit a young one)
who can still do the splits!
I'm extremely jealous, but
I really think I was born unable to do that.


I'm speaking of realizing that others
 just might have a differing opinion from yours.
Of not saying,
"This is the way I've always done such and such,
and I'm not changing."
Of not being so rigid about a routine that it
can't be interrupted.
And perhaps most importantly...
Of not thinking that one's own opinion
 on a subject is infallible.


There is only one area of my life in which I will
never be flexible.
That is the area of my faith. 
(Many of you would call it my religion--
but that's for another blog!)
If the Bible says it, I believe it.  Period.
Infallible.  Irrefutable.  Inflexible.
The rules by which I live are chiseled in stone--
or at least they were.
Now they are chiseled on my heart.



Inflexible people lack a couple of phrases in
their vocabularies.
Those are:
"I think... and
"In my opinion..."
(much less "IMHO"--which is "in my humble opinion"
for my un-techie friends!)
They, instead, state everything they think
as indisputable fact.


Inflexible people would rarely, if ever,
"go with the flow."
They would not make lemonade out of lemons.
("What lemons?")
They would never say, (in faith)
"que sera sera."
Inflexible people would say,
"It's my way or the highway."


I hate to say it, but Baptist church members
 have not been known, historically, for their flexibility.
Now, again, I'm not speaking of our doctrines.
We should be inflexible there.
I'm speaking of some of our practices and man
 created traditions.

Mike Satterfield, one of our pastors, told a
joke Sunday morning which reflects exactly that!
"How many Baptists does it take to change
a lightbulb?"
Response..."CHANGE?!?!"
No...we don't do change well.


I'm very timid to say, but I think I am relatively 
flexible.
I probably run "I think" and "in my opinion"
into the ground.
Most days I don't have all that much of a
schedule that it can't be interrupted
if someone needs a hand or has a plan!


  I coddle and cherish a memory from
Madeline's and Susannah's growing up.
One day Susan and Rob were discussing
wanting to do something which would not have
included the girls.
They were debating how they could handle them.
Madeline said,
"Call Mimi and Gaga.  They'll say,
'We'll be there in 15 minutes!!!'"
Of course, being a grandparent makes
flexibility much more appealing
and rewarding!


I truly believe being flexible, even though it is
not named as part of the fruit of the Spirit,
(Galatians 5:22-23)
is a Godly trait.

 
It seems to me that flexibility would be required
 in order to be "Third."  (As blogged here.) 
Placing God and others before oneself and
being dogmatic are incompatible.
(IMHO!)
 


P.S.  Oh, one more thing.  I realize I'm pretty inflexible
 about my hair, too.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment