Thursday, April 16, 2015

He Closed the Shutters. I Opened Them.

An eye-catching post found its way to my
Facebook page recently.
It's from Jen Hatmaker, author, blogger, television
personality.


 Jen said:

"I have observed this before and it is still true. 
This is my life with Brandon Hatmaker:
I open the blinds.
He closes the blinds.
I open them.
He closes them.
Open.
Close.
And then we die."
 


From the flood of comments identifying with Jen,
it is obvious that this situation isn't just 
hers and mine!!!
No!  It happens all the time!!! 


I guess there's not always an open blind and a
closed blind person in a marriage,
but there certainly was in mine.
Jack was obsessed with making sure no one
could see in--ever--in any way--whatsoever.  Period.

 
There's a small window under the stairs
which allows light to shine on plants which live there.
Before I knew it he would fold himself up,
crawl under, and close the shutters
 on the little window.
Even though it would be nigh on to impossible to
see anything inside through said window.


I, on the other hand, love light and airiness and openness.
My morning routine is to open all the shades in
our "glass room," and the shutters in front.
That might have been okay with him, as long
as all were securely shut by dark.



 I would...maybe...occasionally do a "bit of complaining" when I caught him shutting shutters!
I am reminded of what I wrote HERE about
the futility of any type of argument.
Jack wasn't just being arbitrary.
He felt as strong a need to close those shutters as
I felt to have them open.


Just a typical case of
sweating the small stuff.
I guess it happens in the best of families.










2 comments:

  1. Opposites! Can't live with them, can't live without them. God likes to see how we work those things out. I have a 12 year old who goes around closing my shades and curtains for fear someone's going to see in, I'm a let the sunshine in kind of girl myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shari!!! You know how to post a comment!!! A very special on at that. Love that you "get it!"

    ReplyDelete