Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Futility of Arguing

In doing my "Proverb a Day" this month I was reminded of the futility of arguing.  Even if one does not believe in the Bible, I believe a case could be made for this: Arguments are rarely "won" or "lost."  Just stop and think about it.  When can you recall actually walking away from an argument dusting your hands and feeling like a clear winner?  Or when can you remember saying, "Well...I believe I was wrong about that and you were completely right!"


Now, why would this be?  Well, the main reason is this:  The person with whom you are arguing more than likely thinks he or she is just as RIGHT as you think you are!  This was a revolutionary thought when it first came to me.  That other person is not just being arbitrary.  They actually think they are right!  Even though you KNOW they are not!  Stop trying to prove your point!  You're not going to be successful anyway!  You'll do nothing but cause more disagreement and bitterness!


Actually, "When two quarrel, both are in the wrong."  (Author unknown)  I also found several quotes about not entering into quarrels in the first place.  "Be not the first to make a quarrel, nor the last to make up."  Proverbs 17:4 says, "It is hard to stop a quarrel once it starts, so don't let it begin."


Remember, "A soft answer turns away wrath." Proverbs 15:1.  It may feel like at the time that you are giving up your rights.  But...you're actually maintaining them!  Don't waste a precious minute of your precious life in an exasperating and quite probably futile attempt to prove yourself right.  Personally, "I'd rather be happy than right!"--any day!


If I haven't convinced you, then please consider this:
  If you must argue,
 "Never argue at the dinner table, for the one who is not hungry always gets the best of the argument!"
  (Richard Whately)
                   (It's amazing what one can find on Google!)



    

3 comments:

  1. I love this so much Mimi! :D

    <3,
    Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea what a thrill it was for me to find this comment from you, my precious girl. Made my day, for sure.
    I love you more than life itself! Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are exactly right Linda! Arguing usually does more damage to you than the person you're trying to "beat". I love your quotes...they're so funny and so TRUE!

    ReplyDelete