Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Special, More Special, Most Special


It was yesterday.
 I thought it was special because I allowed myself
to sleep in, and on a real pillow.
(That means I was throwing caution to the wind
 and not trying to keep my hair looking perfecto.)
But it got more and more special!


I didn't get up until 8:52!
Before 9:00 Susan called and asked what
days this week I might be able to visit
Susannah at Baylor.
I had not been down to see her all year!
A last minute trip is called for!
Well, I couldn't go Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.
That left only Tuesday (when she couldn't go)
and Monday--TODAY!!!


Well, my first excuse was that my hair wouldn't
look good enough.
My second?  Charleigh Girl.
Her response: "No one will see you, and
Rob will come let C-G out."
So...she gave me a short window to get myself together!


THE DAY WAS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!!


We arrived before Susannah was out of class.
We opted to have lunch in the Student Union Building,
which is the same building as in 1956 outside,
but quite different inside.
I felt so cool!


After lunch Susan took me up to see the beautiful
drawing rooms on the SUB's second floor.
I spotted a wall of plaques picturing donors to
Baylor and was sure my uncle and aunt,
Ralph and Bessie Mae Lynn,
would be there.  What I didn't know was
that there were hundreds of these plaques down
several halls.
We would never have found theirs had it not
been for a lady (Baylor employee) who passed by
 and asked if she could help us.
She knew Ralph (and Bessie Mae!) and
found this plaque for us in short order.






 Our new best friend then asked where we were headed next.
Susan told her that we were going to Pat Neff to see
the hall down which I worked when I was there.
She told us that the President's office was now in
that location, but that if we would wave at
the people on the other side of the "white doors"
we might be able to go in.


The "white doors" were quite formidable looking,
but brave Susan waved, turned the handle,
and we timidly walked in.
A young man approached, and he became our
second new best friend.
His name was Luke, and he is one of two special
assistants to President Starr.
He asked us if we would like to see the 
President's office.
Oh, yeah!
We saw the conference suite, then were ushered
right in to Judge Starr's office.
(He had just left for Houston an hour earlier!
Perfect timing!)
It sat on the spot where the Dean's office was
in 1956, where I worked to earn my
room and board.
(My uncle Ralph and aunt Bessie Mae paid
my tuition.)


Next step in the chain of our wonderful day:
I told Luke that I had lived in Alexander Hall when
I was there.
Alexander now houses honors men students.
But...Luke had lived there and offered to
walk across the street with us and see if we could
 get a look at my old room!


This is Luke and me standing under my window.

And here I am in front of 209 Alexander!
Unbelievable!!!


 Many things had changed.
This study area was formerly our dining hall.





 But one thing we observed that probably
had not changed was this stairway,
which ended right in front of my door.




That exit door to the left in this picture was
certainly not there!!!
Not that easy to escape in my day!
 


We left Luke and picked up what I didn't know was
an equally good tour guide:  Susannah!
The first stop I requested was her dorm room.
She lives in Collins with a darling roommate named
Aimee.




Next stop:  Common Grounds per Mimi's request.
This iconic coffee shop is practically right
across the street from Susannah's dorm.
It is so quaint.  And fun.
I had a "Lake Waco" to drink.  Yum.



We are sharing our drinks on the back patio.
To say the furnishings are "ecletic" is an understatement!



Then Susannah took us on a tour of Cameron Park
(with many questions from her mother about how she
knew this park so well!  It was from Baylor Line Camp!)
Cameron Park is huge and very beautiful.
Here we are at Lover's Leap.



We then proceeded to the new essential stop in Waco...
Magnolia.
If you don't know, this is the shop owned by
Joanna Gaines from HGTV's Fixer Upper.
The little shop!
Doesn't take long to see it, but I loved it.





Love the new (to me anyway) picture spot in Waco:

  


 Returning to the campus,
we were needing a pit stop, so 
Susannah Metzger, tour guide, suggested
that she take us to the Baylor Law School!
She informed us that she had toured
there extensively--alone--and that there were things
she wanted to show us! 
(I call Susie "mini me," but I think I'm wrong.
I'm not nervy at all like this girl.)
We walk in, down the beautiful hall, and she
punches the elevator button!!!
Noooo.  We don't belong here!
Quoting Susannah Metzger...
"I'm a Baylor student, so this campus is mine."
On the second floor we find what she wants to show us.
Courtrooms, with all the trappings!
And a big sign (yes, which we walked right past,) saying
"Quiet.  Court is in Session."
(Which it wasn't, thank goodness.)
I was fascinated.


We walked across the fabulous pedestrian bridge to
the beautiful stadium. 



Sic 'em Bears!



Look what Susan insisted that I must purchase from
Magnolia!
She had seen my prolific roses before we left.
I LOVE THIS!!!


I will always cherish this as a memento of a very
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
day.
Thanks to all for the memories.

 

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to be spontaneous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shari...you and I must be so much alike. I do love spontaneity! Only Charleigh-Girl keeps me from being more so!!!

    ReplyDelete