Thursday, April 9, 2015

Still Shaking Off Trauma

Yesterday I had agreed to chauffeur some of my
dear friends on a "field trip."
Their garden club was going to the
Biblical Arts Museum in Dallas, and they
were fearsome to make the hairy drive.
("Chauffeuring" is one of the callings of my
old age late stage in life.)
Besides, I had never been there and was
delighted at the prospect of going.
And...I know all the members--
I used to belong myself.
It was much like a happy reunion.


My passengers were to be at my house at 8:45.
E A R L Y!
So I was busily getting ready when I heard
lots of barking!
I had let Charleigh-Girl out earlier and was
leaving her as long as possible since
I knew I would not be back for an extended period.


It was so much barking that I had to go check
for the problem.
As I passed the front door I saw activity on the
front sidewalk, where she most
definitely was not supposed to be.
But she was.  
A lovely lady (angel) was kneeling down
attempting to get close enough to read her tag.
I had on only my sleepshirt, but I threw
open the door.
Charleigh rushed in as I stepped out onto the porch.


The lovely lady (angel) said,
"Is this where she belongs?"
I said that it certainly was.
The LL (A) said that little CG had just 
experienced extreme trauma.
She was way down our street, and two big dogs
were on top of her ("had her down.")
 I guess the LL (A) stopped and ran the big
dogs off, then I know she followed CG in her
car until she stopped at our yard. 
All I could do was blubber my thanks.
Over and over.


I just knew the gate was closed.
It is automatic, and occasionally I hit the "close"
button and it doesn't respond.
But I try to always check it in my rearview mirror.
Sure enough it was closed.
So I began to check around.
The back gate was open just a little!


I simply could not be mad at CG for escaping.
She is, after all, just a dog.
Well, not just a dog--a very special dog.  Of course.
I sure wanted to be mad at the owner of those
two dogs who traumatized her, cause they
shouldn't have been out loose!
But then...neither should she!
(If I didn't know this already, I have
certainly learned it from Judge Judy!)


So...I was just amazed and thankful.
She did not have a mark on her.
She had not been run over.
(Actually, she has zero street smarts.)
And a lovely lady (angel) stopped to help her.


I'm pretty sure she has shaken off her trauma,
but I'm still trying to "let it go."
Thank you, Lord, that I didn't see it happening.
I'm having a difficult enough time 
coping with the mental picture.


But...guess what the first thing I did this morning
was?
Yep, check the gates.
I hope Charleigh-Girl Stovall has escaped
for the last time!
Lesson learned--miraculously.
By me, of course.
I'll bet she would take off again in a 
little doggy heartbeat!


She's not nearly as tough as she thinks she is,
I'm afraid.




**  UPDATE **


We have a neighborhood email website.
I posted a request for CG's angel to contact us,
and she did!!!
Her name is Cathy, and she stopped by to see us.
She said CG was running for her life,
but the other dogs had a size advantage!
Thank goodness, they were not vicious at all.
And, God bless dog lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment