Saturday, May 2, 2015

Cataract Surgery, Part 1


It was a piece of cake.
Sort of.


My left eye, which takes care of my closeup vision,
was first.
My appointment time was 11:05 last Monday.
Susan and I were early.
We had been told to expect to be there from
1.5 to 2 hours.


When I signed in the first question by the 
receptionist was, "Please confirm that we are
operating on your right eye today."
"Well, I can't do that because
it's supposed to be the left."
After a little stutter stepping and attempt at
explanation, I'm good to go--just
hoping the doctor is not similarly confused. 



Being needlephobic, my main concern was the
insertion of the IV.
It was the best, easiest, most painless EVER!
My prayers were definitely answered in that regard.
All geared up and ready to go...
well before noon I would guess.


I had no watch or clock, but I remember someone
outside my cubicle asking what time it was.
1:10.
At some point the anesthesiologist came in
and briefly introduced himself.
And I waited.
And waited.
  And waited.  


I prayed.  I breathed deeply.  I lectured myself.
Then repeated the above sequence.
My blood pressure didn't get the message.


Finally, the curtain was thrown back and it was my turn!
Nothing to the surgery!
Then Susan was there, and we were on our way.
It was after 2:00.
And we carried a note instructing us to have my 
blood pressure checked!


When we got home, my eye was killin' me!
Like a rock was in it.
But I am a sucker for anesthesia, so I dozed all afternoon.
And took Advil.
And, blessedly, slept all night.


When I went in for my post-op visit early the next
morning, I found out that I had an abrasion on my eye.
Oh, goody!
The doctor applied a "bandage" in the form of
a contact lens.
Blessed relief.  I was then fine!


So...here is my situation and request for you,
my dear friends.
This was a piece of cake--
but maybe fruitcake!!!
Perhaps I could use some prayers for this Monday
as I go in to have my distance vision corrected.
(At 6:30 A.M.!!!--sorry, Susan!)
Please pray that this time will be a piece of
strawberry cake--
my favorite.



P.S.   My blood pressure is now fine.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment