Saturday, September 19, 2015

What Happened To Me Yesterday

I became a person whose granddaughters 
will not have to say,
"Can I whisper something in your good ear, Mimi?"
I won't be rotating my head 180 degrees so
that I can hear you if you're sitting on my right!
I got a new right ear!!!


Background...
Many (like at least 20) years ago
I told Jack he just must have his hearing tested.
He said he would--if I would, too.
I didn't need to (!), but
I agreed, just to get him there.


We went to Jones Hearing Aids in Fort Worth.
I was tested first, and then the needy one.
When the technician finished, he couldn't wait
to ask me,
"How long have you had this hearing loss in your
right ear?"
I told him I didn't realize that I did.
Because my hearing was so good in my left
ear, I didn't realize that I was down then
to about 50% in my right.


He was able to determine that my loss was
conductive (as opposed to nerve)
and said a hearing aid would not help.
I returned to him at a later date, with the
same advice given.
I later went to an ENT, who said risky surgery
was the only option--still "no" to a hearing aid.


Oh, and by the by--the needy one did not get
 hearing aids either! 
I think his was a selective nerve loss.  
It seemed to be the pitch and range of my
voice that he couldn't hear!


Earlier this year I met a doctor who had a
hearing aid.
He told me that his loss was conductive, like mine,
 and that the aid helped immensely.
I began to vigorously pursue having my
hearing tested again.


Maybe it's because I've waited so long, or
maybe it's just because I'm excitable me,
but,
I am over the moon beside myself thrilled.


I got one hearing aid yesterday.
I feel like I can hear better now out of my "aided"
ear than I can out of my "normal" ear.
Sounds are clear.
Sounds are crisp!


The first thing I heard was paper crinkling 
when the girl was checking me out.
Yes...I actually said,
"Did you just crinkle paper?!"
Evidently my good ear would not have picked
that sound up.
Then I heard the clip of my own footsteps, leaving.
I went to get a pedicure and was shocked
to hear the water swishing in the tub to my right! 
Eerily swishing!
Also not picked up by good ear.
I hear Charleigh-Girl panting to the right 
of my recliner.


Everything I worried about has not panned out.
I DO NOT feel claustrophobic with the
little thing in my ear.
I had dinner at Cracker Barrel with the
bridge group, and the background
noise sounded totally normal to me.
But...the most quiet voice in our group
sat to my right (ordinarily a nightmare),
and I didn't have to ask her to repeat
ONE TIME!


I'm having a bit of trouble not lamenting over
the years I could have enjoyed this improvement.
My doctor said I am actually an ideal
candidate for one hearing aid. 
She cannot imagine why I was told otherwise.
Not one to waste time on regret, however, I
have to think that I would not appreciate it as
much as I do now had I gotten it earlier.


I realize, as usual, that I have an abundance of
blessings.
I still have one ear with normal hearing--
very unusual, I imagine.
I am able to have the best in care, for which
I could not be more grateful.
God led me, on a circuitous path as usual,
to the right doctor who was able to
fit me to perfection.
Her name, incidentally, is
Dr. Elizabeth Johnson, with Audiology Associates.


One of the funniest things about this is:
Elizabeth handed me a mirror right away to
show me how invisible my hearing aid is.
I wanted to reassure myself that it really
couldn't be seen!
Hmmm...and here I am proudly announcing
 to the world that I have it!
Yes, there is something wrong with this picture!


So, Maddie and Susie, please save up
something good to whisper in my "bad" ear
next time I see you.
That will be the ultimate, and most important, test.
Somehow I don't think it will be,
"Can we go to Toys 'R Us?"
like it used to be!









No comments:

Post a Comment