Thursday, November 12, 2015

It Wasn't Perfect

Soon after we started traveling,
I noticed that I and others had an unusual tendency.
It was to tell about a trip's problems before 
describing its high points.
As soon as I realized I was doing that, I vowed to stop.


So I have told you how wonderful my trip was.
But...
it wasn't perfect.


When I arrived in London, one of my bags didn't.
I couldn't believe it.
I had arrived at DFW for my flight two hours early.
I had "bought" my ticket very early 
for a bargain number of Advantage miles,
so my restless legs and claustrophobic self
could fly first class.
My bags had priority tags on them.


The bag was not on my flight, but was 
supposedly on the very next flight.
I arrived at 8:00 A.M., and it was to arrive at noon.


I made two mistakes.
First, I checked my bags at curbside check-in
and forgot to tip the agent.
Then, it took the baggage person at Heathrow
so long to make a report on my missing bag
that I lost my cool with her.
I had a driver picking me up, and I was afraid
he would give up and leave me. 
He was sending me messages, but my responses
were not going through to him.
I left (stormed away) without her completing the report,
with no claim check or report number.
She said, "Thank you."
I said nothing. 
Mistake #2.

The people at my hotel were wonderful!
They wanted to help me so much, but
without any numbers to refer to, there was
not much they could do.
The bag was not delivered to me until
ll:55 P.M. midnight!
Oh, and I just remembered--add another mistake.
I had bought beautiful new luggage for my trip!


Here is what it looked like when I received it.


  Now, mind you it hadn't rained a drop in London or DFW.
The contents were damp but not soaking wet. 
Considering Mistake #1 and Mistake #2, I was
just hoping those were water stains
if you get my drift!


And here is my treasured tray,
my favorite souvenir from cousin Sarah's place in 
Alpine, AZ, which was inside.



I have an address for Baggage Services
which I got from a very nice lady over the phone.
We'll see.


Of course, I'm first and foremost glad I got it
when I did.
Soooo thankful!


Then...
remember that wonderful pedi-cab I took home
from the theatre?
I forgot to first ask how much.
So I paid way too much.
I lived and learned.
(Or rode and learned!)
Actually, it was worth every "pound!"


The embarkation process was supposed to be
a breeze on this ship.
It was chaos.
I was told to sit in an area in which,  had I remained,
I might still be today!
I semi lost my cool again!


By the time I was settled in my room I
was so exhausted and flabbergasted that I
did not go to the dining room for dinner.
I missed meeting my tablemates for the 8 days.
I fell into bed that night thinking
I would never do this again!


WRONG!
When my room service came the next morning,
I was gung-ho and back in the saddle!
Never for another minute did I feel like I had
made a mistake!


You will notice that I did not include the rocky sea
as a problem or imperfection of the trip.
If one cruises the N. Atlantic in October,
one should probably anticipate that possibility.
As long as I was not seasick and 
got to ride the North Star, 
I was good with it!



And I learned to use my selfie stick!






No comments:

Post a Comment