Sunday, November 8, 2015

Soloing It Across The Pond!


I gave lots of hints.



But I couldn't tell you what or when or where!
Well, it's not you--it's all those potential burglars
out there!


It began Saturday, October 24, 2015.
At 6:00 P.M. I took off for London Heathrow.
I arrived at 8:00 A.M. London time,
which was 2:00 A.M. my body's time.


Here I am approaching London.
I did not know until a few minutes ago
what I caught in this first picture.
 Giddy with excitement even now!
More later!
*You'll want to look back at this picture! 
I still can't believe it!


 Isn't it beautiful?



I stayed at a lovely hotel--the
Marriott Grosvenor House.


 This is actually the back at night!
But I didn't get the front in daytime!
A very small room for one person was available
when I arrived (by 10:00 A.M.).
I took it but resisted the temptation to nap.
Instead I walked a very short distance
to the Marble Arch stop of the big red buses!
Here's my view from the top deck.
Incidentally, this is the very first time I
have ridden one of these buses!



I took the red route all the way around without
disembarking at any of the famous stops.
I think I dozed off a few times!
But this was the perfect thing to do in my
tired state!

I should stop here and tell you about my plans
for London.
I had only the remainder of this first day and
one more complete day.
My goals:


1.  Ride the red double decker buses.
2.  Ride the London Eye.
 3.  Go to the theatre.
4.  Tour Kensington Palace.
5.  Tour Westminster Abbey.
(Because the time we toured Westminster we had
a guide who gave us non-stop facts, to the
point I didn't feel like I saw it.)
6.  Go to Selfridge's department store.
 (I had watched all 3 seasons of Mr. Selfridge on PBS
in preparation!)


So here's a picture of #2 from #1!





This is a pretty cool picture of Big Ben 
framed by the London Eye,
courtesy of our bus driver!
See you tomorrow, Eye!


I rode a second route, the blue one, on the red bus.
I saw Kensington Palace and scoped out its
location for tomorrow, too!


I had done lots of studying up for this trip, so
when I returned to the hotel I got directions
to Selfridge's.
I knew it was only a few blocks from
the Marriott Grosvenor House.
Here's my only proof that I hoofed it over and back!

 Well, that and this:



I made it back "home" safely and fell into
my itty bitty bed in my itty bitty room
totally exhausted.


Monday morning I had a mahvelous "free" breakfast
at the hotel!




Then, it was on to Goal #2--the London Eye.
The concierge suggested that I buy my ticket there
at the hotel.  I bought the fast pass, which
was such a good suggestion!
The regular "queue" was horrendous.
I, Linda Jane Lynn Stovall, just fast passed right by.




This was really #1 for me--Check!
Not a musuem, but a ferris wheel...
extremely redneck, Linda!
*Now do you see how excited I was when I saw
that first picture I took from the plane?
I actually got the London Eye,
even though I did not see it at the time!
And even though I always miss the good stuff!
Will wonders never cease!



I'm gettin' good by now.  Spotted how to get to
my bus from the Eye, walked there, and
rode to Kensington Palace.

 
This is the gate where all the flowers were placed
when Diana died.






 This is a lovely lake, but the animal lover didn't
do it justice!

 If it looks like I wore the same thing the whole
time I was in London, it's because I did.
If I hadn't thrown in my "blardigan"
(half cardigan-half blanket)
(thanks, Pinterest Told Me To!)
I would have frozen to death!
I came prepared for rain and there was
nary a drop!
But it was chillier than I anticipated!


Back home to gussy up for the theatre.
This should have been my #1.
I went to see Les Mis for the first time
at a theatre in London (Queen's)
for the first time.
Not enough adjectives to describe the thrill.


I took a taxi from the hotel.



 
The theatre was very large--two balconies.



 But that redneck girl from Texas was on the
third row center!!!
I've never enjoyed anything more.


It's over and...
 I've never had to hail a cab and was a bit concerned.
Is it available if the light is on or if it's off?
My driver told me on the way there, and I'd
already forgotten...
when a bicycle cab stopped near me.
For me, I decided.
It looked like fun.  It really was!


Here we are on Oxford Street passing Selfridge's
and other famous stores.

The driver.
 

 The passenger.



Christmas Decorations Overhead
Selfridge's

For Jay and Terri!
 

Famous!


The perfect ending to a perfect day!
Now you may notice that there was one thing
on my list which is not mentioned.
Here is why:

 That is just part of the "queue" at
Westminster Abbey.
We may have had to listen to endless facts
from our guide last time we were here,
but he was a 25 year veteran of the
London police force and took us in the
back door!
Hmm.  Without that special kind of
"fast pass" I don't believe I'll be going! 


I have never spent any amount of time alone in a
strange city before.
I did get slightly cool if not cold feet before I went.
But...
I did great! 
I can't wait to do it again,
the Lord willing! 


Tomorrow I start back across the pond.
Only this time it takes days, 
not hours! 
Hope you'll join me!

2 comments:

  1. I take it you have done London before? I could spend a week in the tower. Took the kids there several years back, we got kicked out of Harrods for giggling while trying on hats. Tran trip was too long for me, sounds like you had fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jack and I did London several years ago. We almost got kicked out of Harrod's for taking a photo in the eatery! Did get to go to the Tower. What memories! Yes, I had a great time! Would like to have stayed longer.

    ReplyDelete