Friday, December 29, 2017

Why Chicago for a New Knee?


My most frequently asked question of the moment!
The answer: Dr. Richard A. Berger.


When Susan told a friend of hers that I was needing
knee replacement surgery, the friend said,
"She needs to go to the doctor in Chicago my dad 
has researched."
In checking I found that this doctor is a graduate  
of MIT with a degree in mechanical engineering  
as well as an orthopedic surgeon.
He has developed and pioneered minimally invasive
surgery, allowing patients to recover faster and
with less pain than traditional knee replacement surgery.
His engineering background has helped him design
specialized instruments which allow the surgery
to be done without cutting any muscles,
tendons, or ligaments.
He also has designed gender-specific implants.
Oh...and by the way, he replaced both of 
George W. Bush's knees.
If he's good enough for "Dubya..."



The anesthesia which Dr. Berger uses is also
extremely important to me.
I am very uneasy about going under general
anesthesia at my age.
For my surgery I will have a spinal epidural and 
be asleep but breathing on my own.
  

CLICK HERE for amazing video!

***You have to scroll just a tad down to video***


I called and made an appointment the day we saw
that video!
Then we began receiving affirmations!


Susan has a friend from college who contacted her
after she posted something on FB about the possibility
of my using this doctor.
Her friend had had surgery years ago and had
traveled to Chicago for Dr. Berger to perform it.
She thought there was no one like him!


I can't remember (nor would you be particularly
interested in) all the other affirmations I got.
But I'm up to 7 or 8 reliable people who know all about
Dr. Berger, his amazing reputation, and know actual
patients of his who have had fantastic outcomes.
 I would have not expected any!
And Dr. Berger's online reviews are so impressive.



I absolutely know there are excellent doctors locally.
I have several friends who have had very successful
experiences with knee replacement.
Just one difference--not one of them
 is/was 80 years old!
I certainly wish I had this done at a younger age.
Dr. Berger said I have very poor range of motion,
and that I have needed a new knee for some time.
 I just did not realize I needed it until this year.
I have always been worried about osteoporosis,
but never osteoarthritis!


Susan will travel with me.
We arrive on one day, 
pre op classes, exams, and prep the next,
surgery and back to the hotel the next,
in room therapy the next,
return visit to doctor next,
then fly home on third day after surgery.
Physical therapy will continue here at home.


Reading this may lead you to believe that this was an
easy decision. It was not.
I've been about as decisive as a squirrel
sitting on the side of the road trying to decide
whether to run under your car or not!
I've made and cancelled more appointments
than a booking agent.
But doors have been closed and encouragements
received to the point of my feeling confident
that I'm doing the best thing for me.



"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, 
make your requests known to God;
and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding,
will guard your hearts
and minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7


Because, you know, only God can heal me.
I can carefully choose the most skilled surgeon.
He can do a perfect job.
But once he sutures my leg back together,
only God can cause that severed skin to rejoin
as good as He created it and
my body to accept and adapt to my new parts.


Thank you for caring enough about me 
to have questions!
I hope this answers them.
And I'm so grateful for the prayers lifted on my
behalf already. 
It will comfort me in Chicago to think of all my
prayer warrior friends back home.
I love you all very much.
















No comments:

Post a Comment