Monday, January 8, 2018

Goofy Linda-isms

It seems I'm often using some expression no one
else has heard of!
I just can't understand it.
They all seem so natural and essential to me.


For instance.
I am the only person I've ever known who 
breaks into a chorus of
"Comin' in on a wing and a prayer"
when arriving somewhere late and out of breath.
Just ask Mary Dollar.
She answers her phone frequently on Sunday
morning to this refrain when I want to let her
know I am on my way (a leetle late) to choir!




Now this one I got from my mother.
"Well, will wonders never cease!"
Now personally, I don't see how a person exists
without this one.
Especially within a family, it is so often applicable.
I've actually set it to music, adding an obnoxious
number of "evers" after "Never."
 ("Never, ever, ever, ever, ever cease")
using descending notes in my best voice.
This has elicited lots of eye rolls from my kids
through the years.



Most of these sayings can be googled, believe it or not!
But...when you google this next one, the
explanation is about as confusing as the saying.
My daddy often referred to "Putting the big pot in
the little one."
I use this expression occasionally, with my own
interpretation.
When I pull off a spectacular (IMHO) party or
event, I say that I sure put the big pot in the little one!
It really seems like putting the little pot in the
bigger pot might be a better mental picture!
But no worry.
No one understands it either way!



One of my sayings almost caused a family emergency.
I had plans to deliver something or other to my
niece, Diann, at the Stovall Electric office.
I got to running behind, so I texted her that I might
not make it, because I had
"one wheel off and the axle draggin'."
Di's husband, Patrick, texted me right back,
asking where I was and if he needed to come help me!
Doesn't anyone else use this one?
If not, you should start.
It's just so descriptive of the way
 I am some many days!
"I got one wheel off and my axle's draggin'!"



Now I was fully convinced that no one else had EVER 
heard of this next one when I found...



My Daddy used to say this, and I do too!
I hadn't found anyone else who had heard it, but
 I did look it up online even before I found this sign!
We know about the "stars," but
the "garters" refers to the Order of the Garter,
a high honor bestowed by the British.
Actually both the stars and the garters are
military things.



Writing this blog came about because of something
I said Saturday while at lunch with Becky Leffler.
For some crazy reason I don't remember I said,
"There ain't no flies on me!"
And she said, "Whaaat?" 
And I said, "I have no idea what that means."
 I really can't imagine why I said it after googling
 its meaning.
It's talking about someone in such constant motion
that flies can't even manage to land on them.
That is positively, most definitely, for sure 
NOT me these days.
If I am in motion, it's surely slow enough for even
the laziest fly!


Stay tuned...
I'm sure I'll think of more.





No comments:

Post a Comment