Thursday, July 25, 2019

A Vision to Behold: Villa Katy!


It is almost like a dream that I,
Linda Jane Lynn Stovall,
was able to visit Villa Katy in Colombia.
I had heard about VK since last year when it
was introduced to our church family.
It is Fielder's second partnership in Colombia, 
with San Miguel being the first.



Before I tried to relate our experience, I needed some
accurate background information.
I turned to the leader of our trip, David Hynson.
I told David that if he would give me the facts, I
would try to whittle them down to short form.
I cannot do that.
Each step in this story is essential to its impact.
So here is the marvelous background of Villa Katy.



Following are beautiful words from David:

"Last October (2018) Pastor Jason and I visited Villa Katy to meet with the pastor of a church plant there. He was hoping to become a Compassion Center for a neighborhood that is in great need.

We met in a shallow hole in the ground with about 50 or more children sitting in small chairs facing us. Adults and more children stood and watched.




The pastor explained his vision for the church and the community. He told us how he believed the gospel would spread through the community, giving the residents there much needed hope. 

Jason and the representatives from Compassion International asked him what he thought he needed. His primary need was a building with a worship center and classrooms, since the church was currently meeting in a home on the other side of the dirt road. Compassion also felt money was needed to pay the pastor a consistent salary.

What he needed most was sponsorship of 150 kids. I remember thinking that I had never seen such great need and such opportunity to meet that need come together as clearly as I did that day. I knew Fielder members would sponsor those kids in a single Sunday. I also felt they would donate the money.

When we finished talking I expected to see a program 
for kids. The pastor had not been speaking to them. There was  no microphone or sound system, so no one could hear us talking about the pastor's plans. I thought there had to be some entertainment planned for the kids who sat watching us. There was no program. When we finished talking, everyone got up and went home. By then it was raining, and some were in their Sunday best. Probably the only Sunday best they owned. The dirt streets had turned to mud.

Those kids and the adults with them weren't there to see a program or even to hear us talk. They were there to let us know that they were there; that they were real and they matter. They wanted us to see that they were committed; they were ready to be the church.

As amazed as I was that day, it got even better. 

A few Fielder members donated the money without even being asked for it. They had heard the story, and they wanted to help.

On Compassion Sunday, Fielder members sponsored all 150 kids, plus all of the new children available at San Miguel, plus more kids in the surrounding areas. A total of 358 children were sponsored in a single day, when 150 were needed. God provided immeasurably more than we asked or imagined.

When we visited the Villa Katy church on this June trip, that hole in the ground had become a 2 story work-in-progress building that towered over the community. As our team painted the classrooms, they let children into the building for the very first time; the same children who sat in the hole in the ground just to let us know they were there."

                                                          

**********************



So that's how it came about that our little group of
19 had the privilege of painting walls in the
miraculous location of Villa Katy.


This gives you a visual of the neighborhood.
The children were lined up and waiting for
our bus to arrive.
See them up the hill on the left?



Oh, my heart.



Krista and Martha greeting the kids.



Quite a building has gone up!





One of the classrooms which "we" painted
(Some of us never lifted a brush!)


This is the second floor!




View out the back from the second floor



Some of the painters were pleading to be "sprung"



This little girl was crying, and Dakota Stotler
made her smile with his bubbles!



I hope you can feel my heart's desire as I blog
about our trip.
I want to show my gratitude to God for 
everything and everyone required 
to make my trip possible.
I want to convey to you how life changing it was.
I want you to go on a future trip and be
blessed as I was if you possibly can.
Your child would LOVE to meet you.
At least you can't say you're too old!














3 comments:

  1. Visiting our Compassion kids has been such a blessing to me. I look forward to going again!! (Never too old to care)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting our Compassion kids was such a blessing!! So anxious to go back!! (Never too old to care)!!

    ReplyDelete