Saturday, July 13, 2013

My First Favorite Day in Israel

This is my first morning to wake up in Israel--the Holy Land.
I never even dreamed throughout most of
my life of being able to be here.
It seemed impossible.
And yet, here I am.  Looking out of my window on the
Sea of Galilee.
Did you know that Jesus spent approximately 70% of His 
earthly ministry in this area?
  I didn't.

Our first activity for the day was one I had greatly anticipated.
We took this wooden boat across the "sea," which is known as 
Lake Kenneret to the Israeli people.


Something unforgettable happened after we were all aboard.
A beautiful rendition of The Star Spangled Banner
was played as the American flag was slowly raised to fly
beside the flag of Israel.
I thought my heart would burst.



 My friend Jan McMinn and I sailing on calm water.
Later in the day something interesting will happen to that calm!
We were blessed to have three of our pastors on this trip!
In addition to Gary and Sandy Smith,
 we had Jason and Virginia Paredes
and Mike Satterfield!
  Each and every one was a tremendous
blessing to me, and it was such a privilege to get to 
know all of them better. 


We were looking forward to "St. Peter's fish" for lunch.
When we ordered, we had to state whether we wanted the head
of the fish removed or left on.
I'm no sissy.  I ordered "with the head!"
Oh, yeah. I moved way up the coolness scale (no pun intended)
with that.
It was delicious!  

After lunch we noticed that the Sea of Galilee had become 
very choppy.  Yuval had told us that this could happen, 
but that he doesn't see it often.  We felt blessed to get to see
 this, but after our sailing.
Yes, this is the same body of water that was smooth
as glass this morning!



I can't show you everything we saw, but I must show you this:
This Catholic church is built on a rock which is half inside and
half outside the building.
It is on the shore of the Sea of Galilee.

There is very good evidence that this is where the 
"Reinstatement of Peter" took place.
The story is found in John 21, starting with Verse 4.
This rock is likely where Jesus cooked fish on a charcoal fire
for the disciples.
Exciting beyond description.

Standing in this part of the Sea of Galilee was very
memorable and important to me.
However, this is the day my camera was missing!
Here is a picture of precious Kelly, who was the first to generously
share her pictures with me.
You'll just have to take my word for it.
I stood there, too!
It was one of those moments that took my breath away. 
I could look out on the water and picture the events of
John 21. 
(I hate to be pushy, (not really) but READ THIS!)


As we headed for the baptismal sight, we passed this
gathering of Israeli tanks beneath the Golan Heights.
As I told you HERE this was not frightening to me.

And here is our wonderful bus driver, Eleazar, after giving the
young guard bottles of ice water from our bus.
It was so spontaneous and touching.

Now the event about which I talked more than any other
before the trip.
Baptism in the Jordan River.
 
We each spoke from our hearts before being baptized.
I said that I had been baptized as a child but didn't really remember
it. I felt like I really gave my life to Christ when I was 16 years 
old and had had a desire to be baptized again ever since.
I was being baptized to show everyone that
"For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."
Philippians 1:21
We share such a bond of friendship in Christ Jesus!

What a day.
I walked today where Jesus walked, and felt His Presence there. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading about this special day in Israel.

    ReplyDelete