Sunday, July 28, 2013

My New Favorite Day in Israel


Shalom!

This morning I awoke in Jerusalem.
The Holy City I've read and sung about all my life
is visible from my window.

Matthew 24:3 says, "As He (Jesus) sat on the Mount of Olives..."

This is the Mount of Olives, distant center.
If you click on the picture to enlarge, you can see the
tall tower that we saw HERE
when we were at Mt. Scopus. (Last picture)




 

When we arrived in Israel, I was concerned that I was unable to recognize an olive tree 
By the time we were here, I could recognize one from the bus.
These are olive trees!
They would not date back to the time of Jesus, but I
thought the dirt probably would.
So, I took off my shoes and walked in dirt which the 
beautiful feet of Jesus might have touched.

________________________________________

Matthew 26:36 says, "Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and He said to His disciples,
'Sit here, while I go yonder and pray.'"
We had the tremendous privilege of praying in the 
Garden of Gethsemane.

 _________________________________________
 
We descended the Palm Sunday Path.
This is the traditional road most believe Jesus traveled as He
made His Triumphal entry into Jerusalem.
Luke 19:2


And here's Jason giving Virginia a piggy back ride
down this steep hill!

________________________________________________


Other places of importance we saw in this area:

The Jewish Cemetery---the largest and oldest Jewish Cemetery
in the world.  It actually dates back to Biblical times.


 
The Church of All Nations



Here is the representation of our nation inside!

Also inside this church is the traditional Rock of Agony
where Jesus was said to have prayed.
People were kissing this rock.

__________________________________

Here is the Russion Orthodox Church of Mary Magdalene.

(You sure gotta click on this one!)
 (It's also visible behind the Church of All Nations
in the picture above.)
This church's seven gold spires make it a standout in Jerusalem. 
_______________________________

It is almost 8:00 P.M., and I have been working on
this blog since I got home from church!
(Remember...I have thousands of pictures through
which to search and sort!)
My computer and I are tired--almost as tired as
I was after actually visiting all these incredible sights!

I hope I have been able to convey some of the wonder to you, 
my beloved readers!


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Sweet Cousin! And very talented as well. Wow. I enjoyed reading about this episode of your journey. Imagine being in the Garden of Gethsemane. I experienced it in your eyes. I'm going to read about your next fave spot. I'm a little behind but now I'm home from my trip and can catch up.

    ReplyDelete