Friday, February 7, 2014

The Nerdiest Thing I Ever Did

For several years I was a member of
the Scotswood Garden Club.
That will be puzzling to those of you
who know me very well.
I do not garden, have never and will never garden.
But...this was more of a friendship club.
Yeah, more like the Scotswood Friends Club.
Oh, wait.  I didn't live in Scotswood either.
Anyhoo...not only was I a member,
I was Madam President one year!


One of the responsibilities of the president is to
install the incoming officers as her tenure ends.
Now I don't know how many of you have been
to an installation of officers, but it usually includes
the new group being cohesive in some way--
say, as members of an orchestra (one the violinist,
one the drummer, new president the conductor,
etc.)  Or...
maybe the various flowers in a bouquet!
Get the idea? 
Well, those ideas were too boring for me.


Can you just not wait to know what I chose to do?
I can just feel the stillness in the air!
Well, you're not going to be disappointed.
Dismayed, maybe, but not disappointed.
One hint:
It was supremely nerdy.


My strong suit in high school was English grammar.
"Wow, that's pretty nerdy right there," you're thinking.
In those "old days" we diagrammed sentences.
(Oh, my.  This is harder than I thought to tell.)
Yes.  I made up a sentence about the lofty mission
 of the club in the coming year and wrote the different
parts of said sentence on pieces of poster board.
I had a subject, a verb, an adjective, an adverb,
a prepositional phrase, punctuation...
I don't know what all I had, but I made it 
come out right.


As I conferred the "honor" of each office, I
handed the new officer one of the "parts" of
the sentence.  But...and this is important...
They were not standing in the correct order.
Because...
this is the best part!


The outgoing president is the parliamentarian
for the new year.
That would have been moi.
So, I announced that as the incoming
parliamentarian, I would shoulder the 
responsibility of keeping everyone in order.
Then...drum roll...
I proceeded to rearrange the parts of the
sentence (and the officer holding them)
in proper order!!!!!


By George, I am just pretending to think this
was nerdy!
I really feel it was brilliant.
But I doubt that my friends remember it that way.






 
 

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! What a brilliant idea! And diagramming sentences, too. We are truly soul sisters❤️

    ReplyDelete