Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Speaking of Jeopardy!...

My VCR is set to record it daily.
I've always liked the show, but cousin Sarah is
actually the one responsible for adding it to my queue.
Even though she left, it stayed.


I don't know exactly why I like Jeopardy.
I guess it challenges my brain, but
those moments when I can come up with an answer
are few and far between.
Approximately once I have jumped
out of my recliner and shouted out the answer to
the "final Jeapordy" question when the
contestants did not know it!
I sure wish I could remember what it was, cause
I'm even suspicious of this myself!


I have discovered one thing from all my Jeopardy watching.
If any answer pops into your mind, you might 
as well give it a try.
Often, it will be right.  Well, maybe occasionally
might be more like it.
But...this brings us to Alex.
Heaven forbid that you are wrong.
Alex might just laugh you out of the studio!
"Wrong continent, hahaha!"
Or shake his head somberly and say,
"Ohh, noo.  Wrong century!"
(And you'll be able to sense the unspoken "you dummy!"
at the end.)
 Alex is very handsome and evidently very smart.
And full of himself IMHO.
Sometimes he expounds on the subject--
just to let us know how knowledgeable he is,
not content to simply supply the correct answer.


I would never be able to be on Jeopardy.
There are a few lot of frequently used subjects about
which I know absolutely nothing.
For example:

Greek Mythology
Astronomy and Astrology
Shakespeare
World History
U. S. History and Presidents
Okay...All History
Pop Music Stars
Literature Classics
Okay...that's all I'm willing to admit.


What am I expert upon?
N.o.t.h.i.n.g.
In high school days it was English grammar.
I've told you before I was a grammar nerd.
The only problem is that I've never seen
English Grammar
as a category on Jeopardy.


I like to think I know a good bit about the Bible.
Of course, I feel terrible pressure when
a question about the Bible comes up, 
absolutely panicked that I will not know the answer.
And I would be so crushed and embarrassed
if I missed it!


And John Grisham.
I've read all his books enough times that 
I should be an expert on him.
But...it's very easy to get confused... 
The Apprentice, The Associate, The Brethren, The Broker...
Hope there's a good hint in the clue.


My travels have definitely expanded my world
and do allow me to come up with an answer occasionally.
Again, I wish I had some examples to provide,
but I guess you'll just have to take my word for it!


And then there's "buzzer style" to be considered.
If you've watched Jeopardy much you'll
know what I'm talking about.
Some contestants are so hysterical about pressing
the little handheld buzzer that it drives me nuts.
Jumping around all wide eyed 
and punching it frantically over and over
 even after someone else has beaten them to it!
Others are so subtle and suave 
that you never even see them "buzzing in."
I would hope I could be the latter, but I'm not sure
I would be willing to risk being suave.

I have discovered a way I might be able to be
a successful contestant on Jeopardy.
If I could become real famous, I might be able
to compete on Celebrity Jeopardy.
This special edition was on all last week,
and the questions were so dumbed down that
even I could answer most of them!!!
And Alex is a lot nicer to the celebrities! 
The problem:
I just may have waited a little late to start
becoming famous. 








 






 












No comments:

Post a Comment