Sunday, May 31, 2015

The State of the Lake Address

So many of you have been kind enough to inquire
how I am faring here on the banks of Lake Arlington.
I am blessedly free of flooding problems.


I personally have never seen the lake this high before.
It was even higher, I believe in 1990, but
Jack and I were in Atlanta, where he had a
problem job.
I believe several houses north of us did flood,
and our kids (or more likely Jack!) 
were beginning to talk of moving furniture to
our second floor.
Thank goodness that was not necessary.
The water never even got in our back yard.
Jay and Rob did put sandbags in front, as the
water was running at least curb deep on our street.



Because of that prior event, I was never really
concerned about my place flooding.
I didn't even have second thoughts about
having dropped my flood insurance!


So, thank you for all your concern.
I am blessed, grateful, more blessed, and more grateful!
And heart broken about the tragedies the
storms brought about.


I only had two very minor problems.
The first: pesky and difficult-to-find water leaks.
My poor Sam-of-all-trades has just about
stopped answering my calls!


The second:
People are pigs.
Yes, that's my second problem.
Let me show you.



This dock belongs to my neighbors, 
Scott and Coral Bradley,
and her picture shows the extent of the nastiness
better than mine.

 


There were hundreds of styrofoam and plastic cups,
bottles, even coolers.
Hmmm.  At least there wasn't a single tire this time!



But...
even my minor irritation has a happy ending.
Much of the debris in that first picture is
behind the home of my neighbors,
 Heather and Myron Martinson.
When I got home from church today, 
they had become the lake clean-up squad.
When the water receded a bit, a ton of trash
was left on the rocks.
And that's about how much they gathered up
from their lake footage--
and that of this widow lady next door!


I took some pictures of their results, but
my computer has been "upgraded,"
which has set me back!
I can't find the pictures I took of the
four giant recycling bins from the
city of Rowlett, which Heather and Myron 
pulled from the lake, two of which they filled 
with debris, along with several
garbage bags.


Now we only need Joey Bradley to once again
work his magic and make all the tree limbs
and logs disappear!


P.S.  Be sure to click on my pictures so you
can get the whole nauseating effect
of what we were greeted with!

 



 

2 comments:

  1. One of my major irritations is people throwing their trash out the window. I have been known when someone does this at a stop light to get out of my truck, pick up the trash and throw it in their front seat. Then I get this really weird crazy look on my face which makes them second guess if they should be combative or not. Ok it might not be the best Christian reaction but the world needs to be taken care of, not used as a giant landfill. Glad your house is ok, I have checked your area and it seemed that it was not too high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And preach on, Brother Jones! I would like to get some instructions on the weird crazy face look, so I too might be able to return some trash to those "trashy" enough to throw it out!

    ReplyDelete