Saturday, May 23, 2015

"What's It All About, Alfie?"

"Is it just for the moment we live?
What's it all about when you sort it out, Alfie?"


So is it just for the moment we live?
Not for me.
But, do my actions bear out my belief?
Not always.
Does my heart?
Yes, I pray that it does, because
that's the part of me at which God looks.


At this age and stage in my life, this is a battlefield.
I've said that I want to be able to sign God's
name to the end of my day.
Too often, however, I see my name there.
I do too many things that furnish me only
momentary pleasure.
And too few things that store up treasure in heaven.


I find comfort in these words of the amazing
apostle Paul:
"I do not understand my own actions.
For I do not do what I want,
but I do the very thing I hate."
Romans 7:15


Oftentimes, I just fail to pick up the phone and
call someone who needs to hear from me.
I procrastinate and find excuses not to go visit
someone who is lonely.
Just in general, I fulfill my own needs first
when I have claimed,
"I am Third."
(God first, others second, myself third.)


Guess what I find brings the most true joy?
Definitely NOT living "just for the moment, Alfie!"



Something specific caused me to wax poetic
on this subject today.
Last night I went to Sam Houston High School
to hear their choirs in concert.
I had committed to being there, but--you guessed it--
at the last minute I was tempted to be lazy and selfish.
However...
supporting these kids is a project
of the Fielder Church choir.
A project in which I wholeheartedly believe.
(And, it helped so much that Susan and Rob
offered to pick me up!)
So...I went, and
I whooped and hollered after every number!
What a simple way to add to my heavenly treasure.
Lovin' on these kids just with my presence
and enthusiasm.
And a hug from one of the darling choir
members on the way out made it very 
rewarding in the moment, too.


Everything I try to hold onto I will lose.
Only the things I give to God will be mine for eternity.




 











 

No comments:

Post a Comment