Sunday, August 2, 2015

To Crate or not to Crate


We got Miss Charleigh-Girl Stovall in 2005.
 Of course, we purchased everything recommended
by the pet store, which included a crate.


Funny thing...there are no pictures of baby C-G
inside her crate *palace.*
(From day one I insisted it be referred to in that way.) 
 I'm not real sure baby C-G was ever in there.


You see, we as humans transfer the way we feel
to our canine babies.
 I didn't think I could lead an
"exclamation point life"
if confined to that crate, (even if it was called
a palace);
therefore, she couldn't either.


If I felt this way, Jack felt it more so.
His "hobby" was taking C-G out, whether she
needed to go or not!
About 75 times a day!
 As I remember things went fairly well for a while.
She was not trained, but we were.
Well, sort of.
She didn't have the kind of accidents you're
thinking of much.
But...

When we weren't looking,
she chewed up doorposts.
She chewed up a check which I had to have replaced.
She chewed up very good shoes.
She gnawed the corners of a rug to the point
that parts had to be re-woven and re-fringed!
She also eventually began having those
accidents you were originally thinking of!


I have no idea when I wised up.
But I finally did.
I started bribing her to get in the palace as I left.
When I got home, she didn't even bark
demanding to be let out of jail!
Was it possible she didn't mind it?
No.  That couldn't be.
But...I stopped bribing.
She still went in.


And then...this.




 
I looked around one day, and there she was.
I didn't tell her to get in there.
She chose to herself.
She must not feel claustrophobic!
But...how could she not?
I would!
Now I never can tell when she'll be lying
in there, happy and feelin' safe
(so the experts tell me!)


The answer, therefore, in my humble opinion is
CRATE!
Save yourself lots of heartache and aggravation.
Sister Boo is now in her crate EVERY TIME I LEAVE!



That's why I got so miffed with her HERE.
Those misdeeds happened while I was at home!
"Am I going to have to start putting you
in your palace while I'm here, young lady???"



Oh, one more thing.
I've had people give me grief over the size of her crate,
thinking it is too small.
It is actually perfect.
It should not be oversized and roomy.
As long as she can stand and turn around in it,
it is big enough! 
I know...I wouldn't like it that tight either.
But I guess she and I don't really think alike--
about that anyway.
We certainly do share a love of strawberry shakes.












No comments:

Post a Comment